Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Friday, October 23, 2015

The Two Most Powerful Words

If we are not hearing these two words combined in our homes very often, there is a strong possibility that relationships there are struggling.  What two words am I'm talking about?  I had fun quizzing my husband this morning:


Me: Okay, I've got a question.  Which two words do you think studies have shown to be the most common among the longest lasting relationships?

Husband: "You're right."

Me: Ha ha. Nope, try again.

Husband: "I'm sorry."

Me: Good one but that's not it either.

Husband: Hmm...  I don't know.

Me: That's three words. ;)

Husband: Tell me, what is it?

Me: It's "Thank you."  Studies have shown that in homes where gratitude is habitually and openly expressed, the relationships are more lasting and much stronger.

Husband:  I can see that.  It makes sense.  That causes me to think of the talk, "Grateful in Any Circumstances" by, Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

Me: Totally!  And the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants - "in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things"

................

I know in my own life and from personal experience, the sweetest moments that lift my soul and give me motivation to keep trying are sincere words of gratitude, both when I hear them from others and when I am the one expressing them.  This sweet feeling of hope and happiness comes most abundantly when I'm filled with gratitude for God and I see "His hand in all things."  When this is my focus I begin to see the wonderful things that are being done by everyone else too.

There's a quote I used to have on my wall back in high school that hung next to a big bright sun I had cut out of yellow banner paper that read:

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows." 
- Helen Keller

To me this is the essence of what it feels like to have a soul full of gratitude.  The dreary and dark clouds quickly fade to warm rays of joy, laughter, happiness, and peace when we sincerely and openly acknowledge the goodness of God and the goodness in others "in ANY circumstance."

One of the lines in our family mission statement says, "We recognize and cherish the tender mercies of the Lord through daily expressions of gratitude."  We want this to be a habit in our children's lives.  I hope they learn to always be thankful to be quick to show appreciation.  The best way for them to learn is for me to be more openly grateful for the littlest things they do.  There really is so much power in those two simple words, "Thank you!"

-Alicia
Champion Each Other

No comments: