Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Born to Fly

I've had this old favorite Christian hymn of mine playing in my head these last several days, I'll Fly Away.  I suppose it's because I've been thinking of "A Living Prayer" by, Alison Krauss and she sings both of these.

When we are born into this world, it's expected of us to learn to walk and eventually run.  But could it be possible our earth-bound souls have been created for more than this?

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin observed:
"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience,"  

With this in mind and the lyrics to that old Gospel hymn, I've been thinking of what it means to fly.

"Some bright morning when this life is over
I'll fly away
To that home on Gods celestial shore
I'll fly away"

It's a description of an angel's transition from this mortal place to their heavenly home.  Many Christian religions believe angels actually have wings.

"We know through the Prophet Joseph Smith that “an angel of God never has wings” (History of the Church, 3:392), most depictions of them show them with wings, and some scriptures describe them as having wings. Why?"

I love the answer to this question.

"Wings represent 'power, to move, to act' (D&C 77:4). Prophets who described angels as having wings (see, for instance, Isaiah 6:2) may have referred to wings in order to communicate these ideas figuratively." - David A. Edwards- Dec. 2014 Ensign

When we understand that the wings are a representation of the power to move and act, the imagery of the hymn is beautiful and takes on a higher and more holy meaning.  We come to understand more the identity of the spirit that lives within us.  We were made for so much more than walking and running... we were truly "born to fly."  

In the book of Revelation it says,

" I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." - Revelation 14:6-7

Who is the angel spoken of in this verse?  It's Moroni.  
Most definitely, he exemplified a life of 'power, to move and act' in the saving doctrines of the Gospel.  He lived it with his whole soul, even when he was the last one standing.  The everlasting truths of salvation were etched in his courageous and valiant heart.  And listen to this… at the end of his life, Moroni seems to echo that old Gospel hymn, "I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air" - He knew he was born to fly. 

I love what my religion professor shared this morning about this incredible man: "Oh how I love the Angel Moroni. Once he was the loneliest of lonely and now he stands atop the Temples as a symbol of gathering." -  Jennifer Platt

This wonderful prophet of God calls for us to "awake, and arise from the dust" (Moroni 10:31).  In other words he's saying, "Jump up with both feet, brothers and sisters.  Jump off the ground and rise to what you were born to do... to move and act in power, the power of God fearlessly and full of faith.  FLY!"  His spirit lives within us. This is who we are meant to become.

-Alicia

There truly are angels among us! I don't just believe it, I know!




No comments: