Moroni 7:3&4 both mention the word "peaceable" in reference to being a true disciple of Christ. When I read these verses, I think of "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." - John 14:27
What does this peace look like in our lives? I ask these questions generally for this post but of course I'm asking them myself as well:
- Can we truly trust God, can we have the faith to be assured even in the middle of the darkest abyss, that there is nothing to fear... nothing to panic over? God can make beauty from ashes and turn graves into gardens.
- Do we have the faith to forgive stupid things others do and not give way to bitterness, hate, and resentment? One step further... do we have the faith to pray for such people and search for whatever good we can find in them?
- Do we have a grateful heart? Can we see the smallest blessings even in the mundane parts of life? Do we thank God for them?
- Do we have the faith to be fully honest with others when we recognize we have done wrong, honest with ourselves about those wrongs, and especially honest with God? Are there hidden truths in our heart we are afraid to reveal because we don't want to "hurt our image"? Trying to hide from God destroys peace in our heart and injures our ability to be guided by the Spirit.
- How do we use our time? Are we actively seeking for opportunities to "feed Christ's sheep" or are the cares of our own struggles or the depressing news of the day too "in our face" to see and attend to the needs of anyone else?
- Do we strive to keep the commandments of God laid out in our scriptures, by our Prophets, and sacred Temple covenants?
- Do we trust God's love? Do we believe that we are all children of God, individuals of Divine worth, loved beyond ALL measure? Do we truly believe it or are we constantly seeking for the recognition, likes, retweets, followers, comments, and various forms of praise from others to determine our worth? Are we truly Christ-centered? I think it's hard to be if we're always looking in the mirror or taking selfies. It's sad but true (even if it was fun for a moment) nothing leaves a person feeling more empty, gross, ugly, and hollow than someone who is so focused on themselves. The purest love is found in Christ, and can flow through us like living water that never runs dry. Shut social media off and go listen to a conference talk or take time prayerfully pondering the scriptures.
No comments:
Post a Comment