Although the subject of this email might suggest otherwise, this is my first email since beginning my mission.
For those that don't know, I spent the first week and a half with home MTC, (October 2nd - October 10th) and I'm now at the Provo MTC. I was supposed to go to the Mexico MTC but I didn't get my Visa in time or something I guess, so now I'm here; 5 minutes away from home.
Over the past 3 or so weeks, I've gone to classes, as one tends to do at the MTC. My teachers are all pretty rad, and we begin full immersion into the Spanish language today.
I also have 4 experiences to share.
So, the first week or so of the actual MTC was pretty frustrating, because my companion, Élder Morris, had/has a habit of disappearing. Trying to keep track of him made me mad. He also has a habit of only playing basketball or soccer with his free time, so companion study isn't really something we do a whole lot of. Instead, I do a lot of personal study while he plays sports with the rest of the district. Well, we're finally starting to get things worked out. We stay together, and companion study has been a little more regular, so that's cool. He also knows a lot of people, so cutting ahead in lunch lines is pretty easy for us to do.
Something cool also happened to me. It started one day during home MTC. I woke up and just had a new, strong desire and urge to study the scriptures and "treasure up the word of God". Well, I prayed for that feeling to never leave, and it hasn't. Before, it was a challenge to pick up the scriptures; now it is a challenge to put them down. I love the scriptures, and I love to study them.
Another experience I've had is that I've been mocked and talked down about behind my back from an Elder Morgan, who I shall not name at this time. This is a result of him having a serious case of Little Man Syndrome, as well as me trying to encourage him, as well as the rest of the district, to try to keep missionary standards, which was already a district goal we had all agreed too. Well, that was kinda tough to deal with for a day or two, but I've decided that if I am to be mocked for seeking after righteousness, then mocked I shall be. And besides, we still kind of get along.
"What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; ..." D&C 1:38
The final thing was just something I've thought about. In class we talked a bit about how Christ is the "cornerstone". We also believe that the Book of Mormon is the "... keystone of our religion ...", and that "... a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book." (Book of Mormon Introduction Page)Well I was thinking about it, and Christ is the cornerstone; the first, and most important stone placed when building a house. Then, the house needs a doorway, and the doorway can't exist without a keystone (the Book of Mormon). So Christ is the most important, and first stone of the building, and the Book of Mormon is what holds the door open for us to enter.

Well, that's pretty much all of it. I also have 3 pictures to share. One is of the residence halls, which kinda flooded last night, another is from last week's temple visit, and the other is of one of my district members, Elder Christensen, who stands at an unimpressive 6' 7", taking a nap with "weighted blankets".




No comments:
Post a Comment