Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

If Tomorrow Never Comes

I like a lot of different styles of music... and yes, even some Country. There's a song by Garth Brooks where some of the lyrics are as follows.

"If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes
'Cause I've lost loved ones in my life
Who never knew how much I loved them
Now I live with the regret
That my true feelings for them never were revealed
So I made a promise to myself
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance
Where there's no second chance to tell her how I feel"

After losing my mom, I've had regrets that I didn't call her enough or visit her enough. We'd have my parents down for dinner once a month and I'd call maybe twice a month. At the time, I didn't feel our visits were too infrequent for them living 45 minutes away. The very last day I hugged my mom was on Valentine's day, at my sister's work. I had spoken with her over the phone on the 4th of March to plan her birthday party but the conversation was brief. She left this life so unexpectedly.

I've made more efforts now to call and visit my dad. I've made it a point to visit with him and call him about twice each week. It's unfortunate it took this tragedy to pull me out of my busy world and be more thoughtful about my parents. I don't want to live with those same kinds of regrets I've had about mom when my dad passes away.  I've also made more effort to create family time with my children, more family dinners, more outings, more alone time with Joseph. What if tomorrow never comes with them?

I might be a little hard on myself for not spending more time with my mom. Knowing her though, I'm sure she forgives me and she wouldn't have felt at all that I didn't spend enough time with her. She was very understanding about my busy life. She often put me on a pedestal I never deserved. I wish she could have seen how good she was. She didn't have an ounce of arrogance in her.  Never in her life did she seek/desire any kind of recognition, any kind of popularity or praise. That just wasn't her focus - She was genuine through and through. She sincerely, deeply cared about people.

She did so much good for others. I was humbled to hear countless stories from her neighbors at the viewing of thoughtful little things she would do for them. One of her sisters she visit and taught told me that the very same day my mom was rushed to the hospital, my mom had called her to see how she was doing. My mom was the one who wasn't feeling well and yet she was calling this sister of hers to check how she was doing. Another story I found out from my mom's next-door neighbor - My mom was a primary teacher for the 7 to 8 yr old's. She would personally invite any child who didn't make it to Church on Sunday to come to her house and have a personalized one-on-one lesson with them. I loved hearing how the people of her ward thought of her. If she had only known what an impression she left! They all described her as pure like a child and without guile.

This morning, half-way between the state of waking and dreaming, I felt like she was standing over me, smiling at me. Her presence caused my whole being to feel a spiritual rush and tingling with pure joy. My joy soon turned to grief, I took her hands in mine and cried, "Mom, I miss you. I'm sorry I didn't call you more. I knew that one day I would lose you but I didn't think it would be this soon. I didn't know it would be this hard!" She continued to smile lovingly at me as if to say, "It's alright. Everything is alright."

I've had a few of those experiences since her passing... and even though they are just dreams, I know her spirit is by my side, she forgives me, she loves me, and she walks with me as one of my angels now. I hope you know, Mom, just how very much you mean to me!
-Alicia

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alicia
My Mom passed away in 2010, she was brilliant, smart, lovely and at times certifiably crazy. We had a relationship that was dependant on her mental status. She came to live with me and my husband in 2001. There was so much that I did not know about my mom at that time. She basically had "busted out" of a mental rehab facility, she broke into her apartment where she was fast being processed to be evicted. My husband and I must have seemed like the cavalry, arriving just in time to load her stuff up on the truck and drive her to our home. Needless to say, it was a fraught relationship, abuse of the 911 system, stalking the postman, changing the locks on all the doors of my house, putting a restraining order against me. Luckily for me, my doctor had prescribed zoloft for the chronic migraines I was having. lol lol. I say this as a daughter, just like you. For years I felt so bad that I wasn't able to really help her find happiness, so when she passed away, it was a sigh of relief, but also just bitter tears for me. I remember praying in the Temple about me and my moms relationship and I was prompted to complete her Temple work, and have her and my Dad sealed and then be sealed to them. Wow, that was an undertaking, but my husband was doing the same thing for his parents too. So we both sealed our parents and were sealed to them one lovely Saturday. And I remember praying to know if I had been a good daughter. And you know what, in that moment and in light of what we had just accomplished, I was a good good daughter.
You are too, Alicia. I can tell you from this end of the spectrum, don't beat your self up. It is not about whether you were good according to the world standard, but you did honor your mom and your dad. You honor her with your life and also in the live of your children.
I also had a dream of my mom, but it was so wacky, but it was my mom for sure
I love you Alicia, if you need to talk give me a call, or message me on Facebook. 240-793-8799
Ramona

Alicia Rawlins said...

Wow, what a story, Ramona. How good of you to take your mother in for all those years! Mental illness is a tricky thing and hardly understood. My mom suffered from mental illness too but not to the extent your mother did. My mom was bi-polar. I think most of her issues stemmed from the deep emotional abuse she suffered from her mother and her peers. My mom was never abusive to me or any of her children, so I think she came out of her circumstances victorious!

What a neat thing that you were able to do the temple work for your mom and be sealed to her! I'm so glad you were able to have that experience and closure to know and be affirmed by the Spirit, you were a good daughter!! :)

Thanks for your encouragement as always. I have little moments where I start to beat myself up but they don't last long because I can hear my mom's voice almost immediately telling me how proud she is of me. She always put me up on a pedestal. It's funny, even as I write this I remember a song by Anne Murrary "You Needed Me"... She loved that song! Because of her I grew up loving it too. The lyrics make me think of her and bring tears to my eyes.

"You gave me strength to stand alone again
To face the world out on my own again
You put me high upon a pedestal
So high that I could almost see eternity
You needed me, you needed me"

Since her passing, I've had a flood of memories of songs she loved come to my mind, songs that I had almost forgotten. But they have flowed into my mind - one after the other, clearly, powerfully, and I can hear her singing them. And I now realize from these experiences that music was her way of communicating with me all my life... and it still is. :)

Unknown said...

Awesome Alicia
Just take it a day at a time. I have learned that no mater what people say, there is no "time frame" for processing grief. I was impressed to go back to our baptismal covenants, and where it says not only to mourn with those who mourn and lift up the heavy hands, but we are to all stand as a witness of Christ( even to each other), at all time (this life) in all places, where else would we be a witness but on this earth, but in this context we are witnessing to our loved ones who have passed thru the veil, yes!!! I believe that they have to process a portion of grief also, since we do rise with everything that we have experienced. Those beautiful songs you remember your mom singing may be her way of standing and bearing witness to you, that everything is gonna be all right. I believe that mourning is not all sadness but also introspective contimplation, on both sides. The witness and promise of the Savior is this, that he has made all things new, he shall wipe away every tear, and he is coming soon.
I love that.
Love you too Alicia

Alicia Rawlins said...

Beautiful thoughts, Ramona! I really like what you say about witnessing. <3 You're wonderful!! Thank you, love you!