Everywhere I turn these days, there seems to be some group or some one mocking the Church, mocking religion in general, or mocking any kind of belief in Christ.... and that antagonism seems to be rising.
But maybe it really isn't that new?
In my studies the other morning, I found this quote by John Taylor almost a century ago:
"The Gospel of the Son of God has always been obnoxious to a great portion of the human family. In it there is too much light, too much truth, too much intelligence; for the bulk of mankind; its principles are too pure, too noble, too elevating to accord with the general feelings of humanity and with that spirit that proceeds from the powers of darkness, and which rules in the midst of the children of disobedience. Eph. 2:2
And hence people generally have been opposed to it, and they are opposed to it today. People oppose it, but they do not comprehend it. They speak against it; but they speak of that which they know not of. And while they think we are superstitious and ignorant, we know that they are; there is no doubt on that question. We know that they 'understand neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.”'1 Tim. 1:7 Therefore to us they are objects of commiseration more than anything else.
Talk of Christianity and of the Gospel of the Son of God, in all the ages of the world, whenever and wherever it was proclaimed, there was a spirit of hostility and antagonism manifested towards it from the very first. We may go back as far as the days of Cain." - John Taylor
Despite how the world views faith and religion, I know that there is a God in Heaven who is a personal, loving, forgiving, Father to us all and that He hears our prayers. I've had innumerable prayers answered and have witnessed the hand of God all throughout my life, I cannot deny it. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, the Redeemer of us all, from sin and from death. He is love personified. I have felt that love time and time again!
With all my personal demons, my fears, my doubts, my insecurities, my failures, that could so easily drag me down to despair... I am constantly lifted up by the hope and comfort I find in my Savior, Jesus Christ.
I know that we can be guided through the language of the Spirit, through a regular study of the scriptures, and by those the Lord has chosen as prophets, seers, and revelators.
I know the Book of Mormon is true, the Bible is true, that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God and the Priesthood was restored through him. I love and honor the Priesthood. We have a living prophet on the earth today who speaks the will and mind of the Lord, here to guide this generation into safe paths and green pastures, I trust him and his divine calling.
I cannot express enough how grateful I am for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I know it is true with all of my heart. I pray someday my children will have this same testimony embedded deep within their hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment