Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Friday, December 1, 2017

God Keeps His Promises!

Somewhere around six-and-a-half years ago, I remember having a huge faith building experience: My life felt very hectic and I was being pulled in every direction: I was serving as the Primary President of our Ward,  I was an apartment manager (juggling plumbing and appliance repairs for our complex), I was homeschooling four young children, and I was doing it all as a "single parent" (Joseph was absent for two straight months on his internship in Maryland.  And when he wasn't on his internship, he was at school six days a week until 11pm every night). Needless to say, I was extremely busy and felt like I couldn't take on any more responsibilities.  

One day, a woman from New York named Laura found my Etsy shop and contacted me.  Laura requested that I sketch a portrait of Christ holding her newborn son who passed away at birth. The picture she emailed me of her son was difficult to draw because of the swelling and discoloration on his face and she didn't have the money it took to pay for a custom drawing. Honestly, I didn't feel like I had the time to do the sketch anyway with my insanely busy life.

I remember going to the temple, fasting and praying about my Etsy shop, wanting it to be a great tool for me to share the Gospel. It had only been open a couple months when Laura contacted me. I just wasn't sure if this particular drawing for her was necessary for me to do.  I remember thinking that if I chose to do the sketch, the only thing that would make it worth it would be if the Lord could use it to touch and heal Laura's heart.... But not just her heart only....  I desired that the Lord would somehow multiply this one drawing to bless the lives of many other mothers who had lost their babies at birth. I didn't know how or what that would look like.... but I just prayed that the Lord would use this particular drawing to spread hope of our Savior and that it would be a great tool for missionary work.

During the end of the temple session I began to be overwhelmed with discouragement and think to myself, "That's nonsense to make a request like that. Why and how would the Lord use my artwork for missionary work? My art is so inexperienced. God has plenty of other artists in this Church who can draw a million times better than me. My art is amateur!" The word "weak" began to swirl in my head like an ominous black cloud. Fear and doubt were taking over my thoughts. I began to think my desire to use this one drawing as a tool to bless the lives of many other mothers was crazy thinking. "Who am I to ask for a miracle like this?"

Despite my weaknesses, despite my fear, the Lord heard the prayer of my heart. (I've included the miraculous way my answer came in my journal entry below. ) I have witnessed miracle upon miracle with this sketch far exceeding anything I could have ever done.  I know that God hears our prayers!! I know this!!

Journal Entry: 7-9-2011

....After the endowment session, I entered the Celestial Room.  Resting on the table next to me, was a set of scriptures.  After I finished praying, I opened the scriptures up and found myself reading in D&C 35.  My eyes fell upon the last line of verse three, “I have looked upon thy works.  I have heard thy prayers, and prepared thee for a greater work.  Thou art blessed for thou shalt do great things.”

I thought to myself ,"maybe it was coincidence I found that particular verse." So, I turned the page and started reading in a different spot… and my eyes fell directly upon these words in vrs. eight, “I am God, and mine arm is not shortened; and I will show miracles, signs , and wonders, unto all those who believe on my name.”  I felt the Spirit pouring out upon me and my eyes began to well up with tears.  Could this really be more than a chance that I had found these scriptures at this moment?  I hadn’t been really familiar with this section at all.  I skipped ahead a few verses, and here's the kicker... It said, “I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit.”  By this time, the tears were streaming down my face.  So strong was the feeling that my prayer was answered very specifically and that I would receive the blessing I had been praying for.  I stared at the pages and just cried.  

Then, as I was leaving the temple, I had just walked out the door and was standing near the entrance way, when I got a text from Joseph.  He said, “Good luck with your sketch, I know the Lord will bless you with it.”  The timing was perfect!

Well.... fast forward six-and-a-half years.... I'm thrilled to share the following that proves how incredibly faithful our Father in Heaven is in keeping His word and hearing our sincere prayers:


It is no coincidence to me that after I petitioned the Lord regarding this sketch, it is the number one requested on my shop and has been sold to every state in the United States. With each shipment, I send my customers the web address to two of the Church's Bible videos: Because of Him and Because He Lives.

For non-profit, I have had the Archdiocese of Kansas City,  Altoona-Johnstown Diocese in Pennsylvania, and the Archdiocese of Omaha request the sketch for prayer cards and care packages. There's also a Christian group in Texas called ABC Ministries who the sketch has been donated to. They have it printed on the cover of a CD they give to grieving families. And this sketch has been part of several fundraisers across the states: Primary Children's (SLC, UT), Toast to Life (Richmond, VA), Christian Academy Silent Auction (Raleigh, NC), Kansans for Life (Wichita, KS), and Brittany's Babies Auction (Winchester, KY).

Just about two weeks ago, one of my customers messaged me to tell me that the sketch she had ordered for her niece was featured on a local Tennessee news station. Sure enough about half-way through the story, there's a brief view of the sketch (1:18 or 1:20 into the video). But more than seeing my sketch in their home, It strengthened me to hear the faith this mother expressed, the hope she has found through Christ!! Very rarely do I ever get to see the full story of these children and their families. This was very meaningful to me, to realize there are so many other touching and inspiring stories like Owen’s.

In all of these experiences I think of the conversation Ammon had with his brothers and feel the very same as I apply it to me. (Alma 26:10-12)

And it came to pass that when [Alicia] had said these words, [the people] rebuked [her], saying: [Alicia], I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting.

But [Alicia] said unto [them]: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own [artwork]; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.

Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength [and my talents] I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which [I] will praise his name forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6cBkj8worM


No comments: