Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Korihor's Tactics

We've been reading in Alma 30 as a family and these are some of the notes we've taken. We just quickly type our own thoughts and whatever the kids say after everyone has read. These aren't scholarly commentaries by any stretch of the imagination but I'm so glad for this pattern of scripture study we have been doing for quite some time now.  It teaches the kids to think about and record the things they are learning from the scriptures.

As for this particular chapter in the Book of Mormon,  I can't think of a better place in the scriptures that describes so well the philosophies of those who fight against Christianity today:


10-22-2018  Alma  30:1-17

Chandler: Verse 6. I think the only reason this guy was effective is because he was able to teach from inside the city. If he’s just outside the city and yelling he could just be considered annoying. But because he was inside he had a more ready audience.

Miriam: I like that they didn’t have a law against anyone’s beliefs. I can see how that could be a problem when someone comes in and tries to tear down another’s beliefs.

Micah: I like when it says that they didn't’ have any laws against someone’s belief.
Dad: How is that compared to today?

Kaylee: Is the rest of this just that anti-Christ talking? Why do they call him the anti-Christ?
Dad: Yes. It is Korihor.

Mom: The tactics and teachings of the anti-Christ really haven’t changed much. Especially as Korihor is saying that he knows nothing can be known. So sure than no one can be sure about anything. Their view of prophets is always one where they accuse them of trying to control the people, when in fact, control over others is actually the anti-Christ motive.

Dad: Each of us should ask ourselves each and every day: Who will I serve this day? There are lots of false gods we can worship, including ourselves, our fleshy appetites, our anger and hatred, our riches, etc. There is only one true God that we can worship that has the power to save His creations, our Eternal Father. Who will we serve this day? It is given to us to choose.


10-23-2018  Alma  30:18-29

Chandler: I liked verse 25. He basically throws it in Korihor’s face. He was trying to pin it on the people that they were guilty because of their ancestors. Alma corrects them that no child is guilty because of their parents.

Miriam: Verse 29. I like how after Korihor went on and on about what he was teaching, the chief judge of the land didn’t even respond. He didn’t even make a snide remark or anything.

Micah: I guess I kind of also like how they didn’t say anything in response to Korihor.

Kaylee: ….

Mom: It’s so important that we live by the Spirit as the people of Ammon did. When the Anti-Christ came, they recognized his tactics right away and would not listen to him. This is a really good example of what President Oaks warned about in this last conference, “ We should not consider secular prominence or authority as qualified sources of truth. We should be cautious about relying on information or advice offered by entertainment stars, prominent athletes, or anonymous internet sources. Expertise in one field should not be taken as expertise on truth in other subjects.

We should also be cautious about the motivation of the one who provides information. That is why the scriptures warn us against priestcraft (see 2 Nephi 26:29). If the source is anonymous or unknown, the information may also be suspect.

Our personal decisions should be based on information from sources that are qualified on the subject and free from selfish motivations.”

Dad: I think his arguments here are so very flawed like many of the arguments that we hear in today’s world as they relate to God and religion and moral principles. Korihor claims that there is no God in verse 28. But when he’s cornered by Alma, he changes his tone and says that he doesn’t deny that there is a God, he just doesn’t believe it (48). That is a fair bit different than what he had said previously. He then starts making claims and accusations about what someone else knows, namely Alma. He tells Alma that he doesn’t actually know there is a God. Really?! You know better than I do what I know? And then, he resorts to the very thing that those who oppose God’s work always resort to - show me a sign. Prove it, in other words. As we read about the anti-Christs in the Book of Mormon, you can learn a lot about the philosophies that would lead these people to destruction and that will have the same effect on us in our day. I like the response of the high priest in Gideon. They don’t say anything. And sometimes silence is the appropriate response. Seek the Spirit and the Spirit will tell you what you need to say at the right time. That is a promise of the Lord.


10-24-2018  Alma  30:30-45

Chandler: Verse 45 is interesting. Korihor is your perfect leftist. He’s too lazy to do any research whatsoever and he know he’s been beaten in a debate, so he resorts to “show me a sign.”

Miriam: Korihor is just railing Alma accusing them of glutting themselves on the works of the people. Alma responds that he hasn’t even received a little bit of money. Alma’s not doing anything for riches or popularity. He’s doing it because he genuinely cares about the people.

Micah: I thought it was really weird that Korihor wanted more signs even when he had had so many signs already.

Kaylee: It was like he was ignoring everything he was saying and when he told him he would only believe him if he had a sign. Alma told him that the Lord had already given Korhior a sign.
        Mom: What were those signs? Look at the last half of 44.
        Kaylee: Prophets, scriptures, the earth, the planets moving


Mom: Korihor’s object was to convince the people that there was no God so that he and his followers could lift up their heads in wickedness, so as to remove all accountability and promote moral relativism. If he could convince the people that the prophets  had selfish motives by teaching moral laws, he could exalt himself in the process - thus flipping everything on its head - that which is good, morality and belief in God, (the people will begin to view as bad) and that which is truly evil (the people will begin to view as good).

Dad: Verse 42 exposes the reality of where Korihor is coming from. We learn later that he actually knew what he was telling the people was contrary to the commandments of God, but because they were pleasing to the carnal mind, he was willing to teach them. But he knew all along that he was lying. He had made a choice. He chose to put of the Spirit of God in favor of the lying spirit that had possessed him. We come up against these kinds of choices each day, for the most part. To which spirit will we give heed? King Benjamin taught that we should put off the natural man and yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit. If Korihor had been willing to do this, he might actually have been able to do a great deal of good among the people.


10-25-2018  Alma  30:46-55

Chandler: Verse 55. Korihor begs Alma to let the curse off of him. Alma says he has reason to believe that he will begin deceiving the people again so he says it will be God’s call. Basically, he just tells him he’s asking the wrong person. Ask God because He knows your heart better than I do.

Miriam: In verse 46 Alma said he’s sad that Korihor is bringing his destruction upon himself, but he says it is better that one man should perish than a whole lot of people. They had to do that a couple of times, like with Laban.

Micah: I kind of liked how he uh curses Korihor in the name of God. I think he can’t really do it without naming God. Nobody can really do something like that unless they believe in God.

Kaylee: Verse 53. I thought it was interesting that what had happened and that even after that he still believes it even though he knew it was the devil who had tricked him. What I would have done is if I had figured out it was the devil I would stop teaching those things to the people.

60 - I like how he tells us the devil will not support his children but will drag them down to hell. God will support His children even when they are struggling. And He won’t drag them down to hell but will bring them up to heaven.


Mom: Korihor says in 48, “I do not deny the existence of a God, but I do not believe that there is a God.” But go back and read verse 28 where he accuses Alma and his brethren are getting the people to believe in “some unknown being who they say is God- a being who never has been seen or known, who never was nor will ever be.” This is the example of the contrary conversations of a total liar.  I pray that we can have the Spirit with us to discern when people are lying to us, especially about our religious beliefs.

Dad: I think it is interesting to watch how Korihor fell into his own trap. It is always the same. Jesus taught that the truth shall make you free and we can see that here as an example. We can also see it all over the place in today’s society. People are falling into their own traps and lies. Nephi prophesied that the great and abominable church of the devil would dig a pit for true believers but they would fill it themselves. And thus it is and thus we can see it.

No comments: