Each night before bed, when we gather for family prayer, we go around the room each taking a turn saying one or two things they were grateful for in that day. It fits with our family mission statement to "recognize and cherish the tender mercies of the Lord through daily expressions of gratitude".
Sometimes these expressions of gratitude stir up a fun memory or spark an off-topic discussion (sometimes serious and sometimes humorous) but our time together before family prayer usually ends up lasting to around 45 minutes when it's really only supposed to take 10 minutes. Joseph and I love the extra time we get to spend just chatting as a family.
Last night was one of those nights where we each shared something we were grateful for that day.... with some random memories thrown in.
Chandler mentioned something one of his friend's did that made him laugh... somehow through the numerous responses of the other kids, I had this image flash in my mind of a hilarious face Chandler used to pull when he was six or seven.
When he was little, Chandler used to be obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine. He loved watching that creepy-face train show all the time. He always built train tracks that stretched across the kitchen floor, down the hall, and sprawled throughout his entire bedroom floor. As his young mind observed the various characters of Thomas the Tank Engine, his amazing photographic memory would scan every expression the trains made and he could mimic them perfectly!!
The best expression was James, the red engine's, angry face.
I remember the first time I recognized Chandler mimicking angry James. I had asked him to clean up something or finish something he stubbornly did not want to do. After a few threats of losing privileges and not backing down from my request, Chandler conceded... but not without giving me the angry James glare - just as the little red train did. I was impressed!
He used that face on me so many times, perfect exact imitation (the brow, the frown, the wrinkled nose, even his dark brown eyes rolled from side to side - puppet like). But of course, I could never show that I was impressed with such an exact impersonation, I had to stand firm and solemn in my orders when he pushed back or he would jump right through that loop-hole - but inside, I was dying laughing. It was absolutely hilarious!
Last night, the other kids wanted to see the face I was talking about. I showed them a picture and we all had a good laugh - even Chandler did too.
Wait for it....
Angry James face...

No comments:
Post a Comment