Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Sunday, April 30, 2023

God's DM to Me

This past week, I just happened to have finished reading the last few chapters of 2Nephi. This morning, I put on the Saturday Afternoon Session of this last General Conference as I got ready for church. It was only the audio so I couldn't see the face of the speaker. Words from one of the talks entitled  "Trusting the Doctrine of Christ" struck me to the point that I thought I had better make note of this after I get back from Church. 

We had a member of the Seventy visit our Sacrament meeting today. We always sit close to the front and I recognized this brother as a General Authority although I didn't know his name. After the meeting he was engaged in a conversation with a couple when Joseph and I walked past -  he paused, looked right at me, smiled, and reached out to shake my hand, "Thank you for being here," he said to me. In return, I thanked him for his testimony and told him it was wonderful to have his presence here today. He smiled and said, "Thank you" and went back to conversing with the couple.  Joseph turned to me as we walked away and asked, "Does he know you?" I said, "No, but I know he's from the Quorum of the Seventy."

Later in our combined meeting, we talked about emergency preparedness and I shared with a sister sitting next to me some of the points made in that General Conference talk that had stood out to me earlier - which reminded me that I wanted to revisit it.

When I returned home from church the thought kept coming to me to look up the text to the conference address and write down verbatim the words that impressed on me. When I pulled up the talk, Trusting the Doctrine of Christ, and saw the picture of the speaker, I recognized him, Elder Evan A. Schmutz!! That was the same brother visiting our ward today. I had only listened to the audio in the morning so I didn't realize it all through church while he was there, but it was such a fun surprise to discover!

It didn't make his talk any more important than it already was. But it made me feel like it was more of a direct message to me. I love communication from God like that!!!

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2023/04/27schmutz?lang=eng



No comments: