Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Saturday, March 17, 2018

When God Takes You Home


My younger brother shared this with me today. Of course, it made me cry. 

During those five agonizing days with mom in the ICU, with her completely unresponsive, and connected to all those tubes and machines -- I wished for something, anything I could do to help her. I went to the store and bought her some flowers to brighten up her room (but the ICU had strict rules against  flowers so I had to leave them in the waiting area). The second day at my dad's house, I did the laundry and cleaned the kitchen. I noticed my mom had left her tea cup out. I smiled at the memory it brought to mind - she and I used to always drink mint herbal tea together.  I gently put her cup back up on the shelf. It was hard to see the little items and things she left out of place not knowing she wouldn't return. 

I've listened to this song several times today and have cried each time. The artist lost his mom and he sings about Supermarket flowers and tea, about folding his mother's clothes, and putting her chairs away.  It's still so hard for me to believe that my mom is gone (at least from this mortal earth. I know her spirit lives on.) 

Her death happened so suddenly, completely without warning. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. The past few mornings I've woken up feeling like there's a massive gaping hole in my heart. It hurts so much! But I know she's in a good place, a beautiful, glorious place.. I know she's with God. 

"So I'll sing Hallelujah
You were an angel in the shape of my mom
When I fell down you'd be there holding me up
Spread your wings as you go
And when God takes you back we'll say Hallelujah
You're home"

-Alicia

No comments: