Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Help Along the Way

Saying that "sometimes, life can be hard" really feels like an understatement especially, when the Lord has called us to those hard things: Callings we have as a parent, callings in the church, callings in the community, processing the news of the day, our financial obligations, unexpected illnesses or accidents with our loved ones... it seems as if there is no end to the burdens life can dish out.

It's easy for me in the rough times, those moments where demands are piled so high and burdens are crushing, that I want so badly just to stay in bed and pull the covers tight over my head. Instead though, I'm compelled to pray and start my day with scriptures. Even if devotional time is short, it always helps me reset and recenter.

This last week has been hard mostly because of my calling in the church. I have been exhausting every last bit of energy I have to it and felt like I still wasn't doing enough. I worry and pray for so many people and feel like there's an endless number of homes I need to visit but I can't seem to get to them all, no matter how many appointments I make each week.

The hardest part is when I hear through the grapevine that someone in the Ward is disgruntled over services that were not extended to them and yet their need was never communicated until after the fact. These are often also those who also sap the energy of everyone around them, constantly storing up negativity and spewing out gossip. Such persons can be toxic.

I finally just set up an appointment with my Bishop on Wednesday night. I'm so glad I did. He shared empathetically with me some of his same frustrations and then gave some great counsel. He also gave me a much needed priesthood blessing of sustainment and encouragement. Tears rolled down my face as he spoke and my heavy heart was lifted. On Friday, he sent me this sweet text, "Thank you for all of the work, effort, and care that you give to the members of the ward. Know that I and your Heavenly Father see all that you do and you and your family will be blessed."

Amazing how a few words can carry me through! I firmly believe we are not meant to suffer through our struggles in silence but that we have friends, family, and inspired church leaders to help us along the way. Life can be hard, yes.... But it's a lot harder when you try to tackle it alone.

No comments: