Is it just me, or does it seem like society in general today is far more sensitive and explosive than it has ever been? It has almost become a sport, a favorite pastime, to find any and all high-profile people and examine them under a microscope, pinpoint each flaw, and then expose them to the world like a giant boil through social media and gossip threads. Satan must be loving the whirlwind of contention and pride this kind of behavior causes. He thrives on pessimism and cynicism.
To illustrate the scrutiny we put each other under in today’s world, I had this experience:
The other day, I felt bad for nagging my oldest son, so I wrote him a little apology email and was searching for a funny little GIF to attach of a nagging mom. The sidebar of videos drew my attention, “Mom Nagging Her Son Caught On Tape” and “Check Out My Nagging Mother” - It was terrible! These were teenagers who sneakily captured on video their moms and exploited their weakness all over Youtube. I thought to myself, “Man, nobody can make any kind of mistake these days without the risk of it being advertized!” This shame culture drives me nuts! These kids seem to only recognize how bad shaming is when it’s directed at them but don’t have a clue that they are shaming right back.
I’m at 3 Nephi Chapter 6 in my personal scripture study. Verse 15 stood out to me today, “Some were lifted up in pride, and others were exceedingly humble; some did return railing for railing, while others would receive railing and persecution and all manner of afflictions, and would not turn and revile again, but were humble and penitent before God.”
Then I read this quote in my study guide by Marvin J. Ashton, “Certainly one of our God-given privileges is the right to choose what our attitude will be in any given set of circumstances. We can let the events that surround us determine our actions—or we can personally take charge and rule our lives, using as guidelines the principles of pure religion. Pure religion is learning the gospel of Jesus Christ and then putting it into action. Nothing will ever be of real benefit to us until it is incorporated into our own lives.”
Our society is so quick to criticize, so quick to exploit the weaknesses of others. What would happen if people did the reverse and spent more time searching out the virtues in each other and publishing those things to the world? What if people practiced forgiveness for offences instead of harboring hatred, assumed the best instead of exposing the worst? I just feel like shouting, “Where is the love people?! Where is the love?!” [insert song by Black Eyed Peas ;)]
-Alicia
-Alicia
1 comment:
Hi Alicia
You are right about this. It seems the world has taken quite a reactionary stance. People are hyper sensitive and I do believe that this is detailed in the scripture, I believe Paul talks about this. It seems to fall under the truth is seen as a lie and the lie is truth. People lie so much these days, its a profession. I have always found that people who are so sensitive, so reactionary, usually have their own secrets and lies that they can't come to term with, so they look for others to scapegoat. In other words its that secret not so secret combination called Political Correctness. Right?
I have wondered, why are people labeling themselves these days, White nationalist, black lives matter, the rainbow club, all of that and more. Does a label give you the right to perpetrate against your brother. But wait, these labels are marks, I dare say marks of the beast, but in our day, we call it the "system". The process, the system, the beast. Most people seem to be driven by it, and it affects everything we do, say, eat, etc. The mark of the beast, political correctness, nationalism, intolerance, all of that my friend.
Now more than ever Gods elect must be wise, like Jesus said, calm as doves and wise as snakes. Because even Gods very elect , their hearts will fail them.
Alicia, love you so much. how are you. I hope you are praying for me, lately I have felt like Enos, let me tell you of the wrestle I have had.
Its been a soul searching month for me, a time where I have had to literally fast daily to know and be guided by the Savior and the Father. Things that are wrong appear as right, like Lucifer who at time symbolically appears as an angel of Light.
Be strong. Call me sometimes, I would love to talk to you.
Have a wonderful holiday season, Thanksgiving
Oh yes I have a new calling of Ward Missionary. I am very happy about that. maybe God thinks I am a first responder. lol lol
Lovey you
Ramona
Post a Comment