Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Monday, October 10, 2016

Atonement of Peace - Ponderize - Week 54

Nephi was a prophet of God--a good and righteous man--but even he grieved because of how easily he felt anger towards his brothers.  He recognized that if he didn't do something to be rid of the contention within, it would eat him alive. "Why should I give way to temptations that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?" - 2 Nephi 4:27

When I read the things that Nephi's brothers did to him, the human-nature side of me feels that he is justified in his anger towards them.  Yet, Nephi recognizes that peace cannot abide with resentment.

I cross referenced my scripture study this morning to Ephesians 4:31.  This is the verse I'll be pondering for the week.
"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice."

When we hold onto slights, refuse to forgive, and wallow in bitterness--it not only strangles our spirit but it slowly cripples and kills our physical body too.

Russel M. Nelson gave a fantastic talk back in 1989 entitled The Canker of Contention.  He said, "As we dread any disease that undermines the health of the body, so should we deplore contention, which is a corroding canker of the spirit.' ...President Ezra Taft Benson described contention as 'another face of pride.'"

Of course, we can only choose to get rid of the contention in our own heart.  Unfortunately, we cannot force or make others get rid of their bitterness and anger--making it very difficult for us to maintain kind or generous feelings towards them. So, what do we do?  We turn to our Mediator, our great Intercessor.  He understands completely and is the great healer of all wounds. He can help us to nurture feelings of compassion, understanding, and love that don't come naturally in such circumstances.

Nephi gains strength to forgive through the power of the atonement, he finds peace by turning his heart to the Savior, "Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation." - 2 Nephi 4:30

I too find strength in the atonement.  I'm so thankful for my Savior and the constant peace that I find in Him.

-Alicia

No comments: