I know so many women who have a naturally beautiful face, no make-up needed to be absolutely gorgeous. (I envy that.) These women always seem to look so classy in their dress styles too. Truth be told, I've never been extremely confident about my looks or appearance. I feel like it is such a wasted effort. I would never call this insecurity of mine "humility," In fact, I consider it to be one of my deepest weaknesses. One way I try to cope with this insecurity is to remind myself that a wardrobe of fashionable clothes and a glamorous face doesn't matter at all to God.
We live in a world that is obsessed with appearances. People spend inordinate amounts of money and time to stay looking young and attractive. They pour themselves into programs, magazines, lectures, and all the latest fashions to glamorize themselves, to gather attention, and to be recognized. Eventually, time will take its toll on all of us and this surface beauty will crumble to the grave.
In the New Testament, 1 Peter 3:3-4 says,
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight."
Almost seven years ago, I wrote a blog post about true beauty:
When I was in my late teens my family had a wonderful couple for hometeachers, Brother and Sister Anderson. They were an older couple, probably in their late 70's. They always had a sparkle in their eyes and a smile on their face(I called it perma-grin). They were filled to the brim with gratitude for everyone and everything around them. I never heard a disparaging remark come out of their mouth. They spoke freely about God, His mercy and blessings. Their testimony of the Savior was not just in word but in the choices they made every day of their lives. They were a beautiful example of charity and oneness in marriage and of Christlike love for everyone. They shined so bright! I loved to be around them and glean from their wisdom.
About five years ago, I saw Brother Anderson in the temple...His physical health had declined for he needed to constantly be on oxygen and he carried a cane but he still had that strong and vibrant spirit... he hugged me and gave his regards to my family. His eyes shined as bright as ever and he still had that warmth of spirit that could soften any frozen heart.
I will never forget this wonderful couple! What an impression they made on me... they helped me see what true beauty is!
I still believe what I wrote back then;
I think sometimes, I just need a little reminder. :)
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment