Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Connecting

I finished my writing class last night.  For our final, we all had to give our own "Ted Talk". It was really fun preparing for mine.  I was terribly nervous but my classmates seemed to like it.  I spoke about children and the hard-wired aching they have to bond with their biological parents, no matter their upbringing.

My foster son knew what my presentation was about, and when I tucked him in bed last night, he was anxious to hear how my final went.  He asked if I talked about him.  I told him that I did for a small moment and that it was good things.  He smiled as he pulled the blankets shyly up to his nose, "Miss Alicia... I bet you did really good." I thanked him for his confidence.

Micah has moved downstairs to sleep on the couch now.  It was his choice for the move but I think it was a good one because it seems like the relationship with his foster brother is less strained this way. For the most part, they are getting along quite well. Micah is incredibly resilient and compassionate, he just needed a little space at night.

Things are getting more comfortable with my foster son. He is opening up to me more and more. He only asks deep questions and carries serious conversation when I'm alone with him. It's really great to see the thick walls come down when I sit at his bedside every evening.

Tonight, we will be surprising our foster children.  Their siblings are passing through our city on their way back home with their adopted family.  They, and the rest of the other adopted kids to that family, are going to eat dinner with us. This is the first time I get to meet their adoptive mother face-to-face and I'm really excited.  I can tell she is an amazing woman.  I feel like it's going to be a really good experience.

-Alicia

No comments: