"Dear Lord,
So far today, am I doing alright.
I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or self-indulgent. I have not whined or complained.
But I will be getting out of bed in a minute, and I think that I will really need your help then."
- unknown
Many of life's solutions seem so much easier in words than the actual application. I can start my day off with prayer and scriptures. I can study the life of Christ and His teachings. I can make resolutions for the day. And then some drama will unfold with the children, some conflict arises, or something won't work how it's expected too... and the real test of my character begins.
You know those uncomfortable moments at the end of the day, where you review how you handled each situation and realize that you could have done better? I consider those reflective moments to be a blessing, an opportunity to learn and try again.
I read in the New Testament this morning, "My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him: For whom the Lord loveth, He chasteneth..." (Hebrews 12: 5,6)
The Lord knows we are going to stumble and fall, that we won't be the ideal father, the ideal mother, or the ideal anything. He knows we won't be perfect. And when we offend, when we mess up... we must be quick to apologize and set it right. It's the repentant soul who displays real faith and real courage.
Popular BYU Professor and LDS speaker--Brad Wilcox--said,
There should never be just two options: perfection or giving up. When learning the piano, are the only options performing at Carnegie Hall or quitting? No. Growth and development take time. Learning takes time. When we understand grace, we understand that God is long-suffering, that change is a process, and that repentance is a pattern in our lives. When we understand grace, we understand that the blessings of Christ’s Atonement are continuous and His strength is perfect in our weakness (see 2 Corinthians 12:9). When we understand grace, we can, as it says in the Doctrine and Covenants, “continue in patience until [we] are perfected” (D&C 67:13).
I'm also learning that the specific things we pray for can make a huge difference in how we handle each situation:
- I am discovering that it's better for me to seek for understanding rather than pray for patience. When I understand the situation more or the intent of another, patience follows more naturally.
- I am discovering that it's better for me to offer prayers of gratitude rather than pray to have love for others. When I'm filled with gratitude, love follows more naturally.
I'm grateful to know the Lord is all about second chances and new beginnings. He delights to untangle the messes we find ourselves in and fill our souls with peace. "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby." - Hebrews 12:11
I pray your day is blessed with the unfailing grace and love extended to us through our Savior, that you feel peace... even in the middle of a storm, especially in the middle of a storm. Sail on.
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment