I wasn't able to sit in Sacrament Meeting for our own ward today because I had Stake business... which meant Joseph was on his own with the kids. I was a little distracted in my other meetings because I was so worried that it was going to be another one of those Sundays where our foster kids displayed their hatred for the Sabbath in every possible way, pushing and resisting, fighting and ignoring, squirming and sassing... you know--the whole nine yards. I just didn't want Joseph to have to deal with that by himself because it's so draining.
You can imagine how pleased I was to find out that everything went well. The foster kids did amazing this time! They got along, they sat still, they didn't complain, or fight, or throw tantrums, or make rude remarks. Even tonight went smoothly for bed. My foster daughter didn't scream for an hour like she has been for the last couple weeks. She went straight up to bed without a fight. I rotated through each child, scratching all their backs for five or six minutes each. Everyone was contented and everyone went to sleep without a struggle. Wow!
Days like these are just enough incentive for us to keep going.
The Stake business I had to attend to today was another ward's conference. Bishop Speckheart of that ward spoke first and read this poem. I was glad to be there to hear it because I felt like the words were so applicable for this journey my husband and I are on. I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face. This poem was exactly what I needed! Absolutely perfect!
The Race
by, D.H. Groberg
“Quit! Give Up! You’re beaten!”
They shout at me and plead.
“There’s just too much against you now.
This time you can’t succeed.”
And as I start to hang my head
In front of failure’s face,
My downward fall is broken by
The memory of a race.
And hope refills my weakened will
As I recall that scene;
For just the thought of that short race
Rejuvenates my being.
A children’s race–young boys, young men–
How I remember well.
Excitement, sure! But also fear;
It wasn’t hard to tell.
They all lined up so full of hope
Each thought to win that race.
Or tie for first, or if not that,
At least take second place.
And fathers watched from off the side
Each cheering for his son.
And each boy hoped to show his dad
That he would be the one.
The whistle blew and off they went
Young hearts and hopes afire.
To win and be the hero there
Was each young boy’s desire.
And one boy in particular
Whose dad was in the crowd
Was running near the lead and thought:
“My dad will be so proud!”
But as they speeded down the field
Across a shallow dip,
The little boy who thought to win
Lost his step and slipped.
Trying hard to catch himself
His hands flew out to brace,
And mid the laughter of the crowd
He fell flat on his face.
So down he fell and with him hope
–He couldn’t win it now–
Embarrassed, sad, he only wished
To disappear somehow.
But as he fell his dad stood up
And showed his anxious face,
Which to the boy so clearly said,
“Get up and win the race.”
He quickly rose, no damage done,
–Behind a bit, that’s all–
And ran with all his mind and might
To make up for his fall.
So anxious to restore himself
–To catch up and to win–
His mind went faster than his legs:
He slipped and fell again!
He wished then he had quit before
With only one disgrace.
“I’m hopeless as a runner now;
I shouldn’t try to race.”
But in the laughing crowd he searched
And found his father’s face;
That steady look which said again:
“Get up and win the race!”
So up he jumped to try again
–Ten yards behind the last–
“If I’m to gain those yards,” he thought,
“I’ve got to move real fast.”
Exerting everything he had
He regained eight or ten,
But trying so hard to catch the lead
He slipped and fell again!
Defeat! He lied there silently
–A tear dropped from his eye–
“There’s no sense running anymore;
Three strikes: I’m out! Why try!”
The will to rise had disappeared;
All hope had fled away;
So far behind, so error prone;
A loser all the way.
“I’ve lost, so what’s the use,” he thought
“I’ll live with my disgrace.”
But then he thought about his dad
Who soon he’d have to face.
“Get up,” an echo sounded low.
“Get up and take your place;
You were not meant for failure here.
Get up and win the race.”
With borrowed will "get up,” it said,
“You haven’t lost at all.
For winning is no more than this:
To rise each time you fall.”
So up he rose to run once more,
And with a new commit
He resolved that win or lose
At least he wouldn’t quit.
So far behind the others now,
–The most he’d ever been–
Still he gave it all he had
And ran as though to win.
Three times he’d fallen, stumbling;
Three times he rose again;
Too far behind to hope to win
He still ran to the end.
They cheered the winning runner
As he crossed the line first place.
Head high, and proud, and happy;
No falling, no disgrace.
But when the fallen youngster
Crossed the line last place,
The crowd gave him the greater cheer,
For finishing the race.
And even though he came in last
With head bowed low, unproud,
You would have thought he’d won the race
To listen to the crowd.
And to his dad he sadly said,
“I didn’t do too well.”
“To me, you won,” his father said.
“You rose each time you fell.”
And now when things seem dark and hard
And difficult to face,
The memory of that little boy
Helps me in my race.
For all of life is like that race,
With ups and downs and all.
And all you have to do to win,
Is rise each time you fall.
“Quit! Give up! You’re beaten!”
They still shout in my face.
But another voice within me says:
“GET UP AND WIN THE RACE!”
"I pray the power of the Holy Ghost will be with each of us—that we may think what we need to think, feel what we need to feel, and learn what we need to learn so we can do what we know we should do and ultimately become what the Lord yearns for us to become." - David A. Bednar
Featured Post
The Purest Love
"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...
5 comments:
Hey girl hey
You said something in your last post about "getting back to normal". I dunno, but I think that normal is overrated. My husband made that statement once, our life was a complete whirlwind of service, trials, some good & bad time, all of that. And it left us breathless on a daily basis. We had yet to learn the old adage, "Be careful what you pray for". As we found out there is a God in heaven and he knows the intents and purposes of the hearts of man. We were like Dorothy and the scarecrow and Max. ( I had a dog named Max, no ToTo). We never got back to "normal". And when I look back, that's ok, its been a long crazy trip, filled with just about everything you could imagine, and I am still here.
You know the Lord wants us to really be a part not only of the narrative of life, but the action sequences too.
In my life, I am on #5. When my husband passed away, even in the depths of my sorrow, the Lord literally pulled up in a big rig truck, opened the doors and laid out a plan, so big, so extraordinary, I knew that if I were to follow that plan, people would know that I was probably certifiably cra cra. So I did, and I am crazy or peculiar as He refers to us, his peculiar people.
The Lord has promised a husband, a marriage, children (what what), a mission and that is just for starters. He has sent messengers to add a double portion of blessings to my patriarchal blessings. He has sent healing, strengthening, restoration. My days are sped up, I am like Hezekiah, when Isaiah first came to pronounce his death sentence, Hezekiah turned his face to his bedroom wall and cried bitterly.
Isaiah 38:4-5
4 Then the word of the LORD came to Isaiah, saying,
5"Go and say to Hezekiah, 'Thus says the LORD, the God of your father David, "I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will add fifteen years to your life
Now I don't know if the Lord added extra years to my life, but I know that he has begun a restoration in my physical body, my mental status, my emotions, my spirit I feel it. So I decided to challenge myself to "believe" like my scriptures heros, Rachel, Sarah, Rebekah, even Ruth and Naomi. The Lord constantly reminds me that "all things are possible" to them who believe in Me.
The one think I am learning, and maybe you are too, is that the Lord teaches us in "patterns", and he establishes a foundation through a pattern of teaching. He wants us to utilize all of gifts that have been given to us, and if we don't know what they are, we can ask for clarification. He wants us to ask for more, more and more, until the "thing" that is our hearts desire is filled to overflowing.
Sometimes people say "Hang in there", but I will say to you and your husband and kids, "Strap yourself in", keep your hands inside the vehicle"
Lock and Load Alicia xoxoxoxo
I wrote a post in the 72 hour rule, that ended with me suggesting during a time of great trial and adversity in my and my husband's life, that we held up a sign that said "No surrender".
https://youtu.be/Xe4SckesWLE
Oh Ramona, I love how your sense of humor shows through in your comments. You had me laughing and crying at the same time. I love it!
Your counsel for us to strap ourselves in couldn't be more prophetic. Last night I had a team meeting with DCFS and they want to speed up the reunification with these children's mother. This means we are going to need to become real close, communicating--daily almost-- working right along side each other. Up 'til now, she hasn't even had my phone number.
I don't know why I'm scared? She has tested free of drugs and no burglary records since she got out of jail in December, and she has been taking parenting classes--so I know she has been making some great progress. It doesn't change the fact that the more her children see her, the more they build up resentment for being in foster care--negatively effecting our entire family. The children are used to getting literally whatever they want, whenever they want--no rules, no boundaries. So of course, when they come back to a home where they have bedtime routines, computer limits, job responsibilities etc. they resent it big time.
I imagined that my heart would be more open to their mother but I've come face to face with fears and frustrations I didn't realize were storing up inside me like a volcano ready to explode these past six months: No rules, no responsibilities, letting them walk all over her. She's terrified to say "no" or "stop" to anything they ever do. She confuses correction with failure, rules for bondage, and no consequences for love. She has spent their lifetime parenting out of guilt so she doesn't know how to stand up to anything.
Now, the issues I have with her husband far outweigh any issues I have with her. He is just downright scary! She has been court ordered not to have any contact with her husband because of his horribly abusive and manipulative track record but I fear that 24 years of being together in a relationship with him will prove to be too strong of a pull and she won't be able to keep him away.
She asked me for a ride home yesterday after the meeting. I didn't want to but I also didn't have the heart to send her on the bus in the rain. When she got into my van, her daughter began throwing a tantrum for something she wanted and her mother was just about to give it to her despite how rudely it was demanded. That's when I lost it.
Those six months of frustration came bursting right out. I shouted, "Don't you DARE give her what she wants when she's acting like that! Do you know what that does to her?! Do you know why her behavior has been so difficult to deal with?! It's because you bend over and take crap like that!" (I actually used the "s" word in there but let's just forget I did. Really, I never swear. That was the first time in almost 20 years.) She stopped immediately as I continued, "You listen up! Your husband is released in two weeks and how the HELL do you think you're going to stand up to him if you can't even stand up to a 3-year-old?!!"
She was shocked. She had never seen me so angry. I was shocked at myself too. I didn't realize how much resentment toward her had built up. I immediately apologized for losing my temper. Thankfully, she was forgiving. We exchanged phone numbers. We cried and hugged each other and then cried some more.
We're going to have to get real close over this reunification process if we ever want to make this work. She's going to have to be willing to make some huge parenting changes and I'm going to have to allow the natural behavioral struggles and emotional outbursts that will come with the kids alternating living with her and living with us.
Yeah, "Strap yourself in!" I couldn't think of any better advice right now.
Hey Alicia
This will be a perfect missionary opportunity. Think of it as this, even though these children are a struggle, pandora's box if you will.
Take this opportunity to minister to this woman who is a mother, and also a daughter of Heavenly Father. Who knows what she has been praying for and you should know that all mothers, no matter what their situation, pray for their kids. Maybe you can love her too, help her to find safety, because Alicia, the stats are not good for either the lives of the children or the mother, when a dangerous "father"figure is around.Write their names on the Temple roll, fast for them Alicia.
I love this scripture in Esther 4:14 when Esther was warned of imminent danger by Mordecai
Esther 4:14
14 For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there arise respite and deliverance to the Jews from another place, but thou and thy father’s house shall be destroyed. And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”
Remember when Jesus counseled that father with the child who had a "deaf & dumb" spirit? Frequently that "deaf & dumb" spirit would grab hold of the boy, in the presence of his father, throwing him even into the fire. Then after the convulsions he would lay limp as if dead,
What did Jesus do, He rebuked that "deaf and dumb" spirit. Can a deaf spirit "hear" the Lord, yes it can. Can a dumb spirit speak, yes it can.
Jude 1:20-23
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And on some have compassion, making a difference;
23 and others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Alicia, not telling you what to do, but have you & your husband considered a priesthood blessing for the "sick" for your daughter? A fathers blessing for all of the children? This is where you "lock and Load". I know that you are a praying woman, call down the powers of heaven Alicia, for those children, for their mother, even their father.
Ramona
Those are perfect scriptures, Ramona! At the end of the 15 -20 min. van ride home with this mother, I mentioned that we hugged and cried and hugged some more. One thing I didn't mention is what we said to each other:
I told her that I wanted to be part of her support group, I wanted to be her friend, I wanted to help her heal totally and completely heal, and I wanted to see her be strong in her resolves, to reach her goals. I said, "You've made a lot of wonderful promises to these kids and I want to see to it that you keep them. They are trusting you to keep them."
She responded that she trusted me and that she desired with all her heart for me to teach her and train her how to care for her children, how to give them good boundaries. I have faith and hope that she really can turn around in all this mess, I really do. Her six older children that were adopted by a different family have never in their life seen their mother go through such extensive efforts to abandon her lifestyle of drugs and stealing.
Every time I attend the Temple I write all their names on the prayer roll. Unfortunately, I feel often like the father with the "deaf and dumb" child saying, "Lord I believe... HELP Thou mine unbelief." I know that my fear comes from a part of me that doesn't belief she can be healed. I've got to get over that fear.
Priesthood blessings have been administered so much more in our home since all of this began. It makes me appreciate my husband so much! In fact, over the past several days and for the rest of this week he has been fasting until noon each day to help him know how to administer to our foster daughter.
This whole thing has been a real test of my character and I've never been so horribly humbled by the realization of how weak I actually am. It often leaves me wondering why, of all people, was I called, "for such a time as this"?
If you could see what god sees, you are a warrior Princess, a wise woman, a secret weapon held back for this very purpose
xoxoxoxoxo
Post a Comment