Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Friday, April 21, 2017

Leave this part blank.

I can't even write anymore. I can't seem to grasp my own thoughts, let alone articulate them.  I feel so terribly far from inspiration.  These days, I hardly know how to talk to my old friends when I see them let alone how to talk to God. In most of my prayers my mind drifts endlessly or is totally blank. My husband has expressed the exact same struggles. My children are manifesting similar emotions too.

Our world has shrunk to a select few who understand. The couple in our ward who had these kids before us "get" what we're going through but even they didn't have the children as long...and they didn't have their own biological children to blend with them either.

The irony of foster care is you try so desperately to save the lives of your foster kids but in the process you better brace yourself to take a wrecking ball to your own life. The trick is to avoid resenting that "wrecking ball" even learn how to love it, to embrace it.

Now, my foster son is doing pretty well despite a few set-backs.  I can't complain. He is trying so hard and I'm very proud of his progress. On the other hand, the melt-downs have increased with my foster daughter again. She was really doing better for several weeks in a row until she started seeing her mother 2x a week at the daycare for women in drug rehab. Almost every night now before bed she's back to  having convulsions and screaming non-stop for over an hour.  She's been doing this more in the day too. There's absolutely no consoling her. I offer to read her a story or to scratch her back in an effort to calm her. I hold her and she kicks and flails. Every soothing effort she violently refuses and so I walk away only to hear her scream like a banshee for all that she said she didn't want two seconds ago. At that point, all I can do is shut the door, walk away, and wait for her to be silent. Sometimes, I'm not that patient and I scream back or give her one big firm swat on the butt. (Of course that never helps.)

When she's not having melt-downs she wants me holding her and I do hold her but she weighs the same as Kaylee and I can't hold her for extremely long periods like she wishes.  The minute I set her down, she panics or starts lashing out at my other kids--That's hard for them. Chandler can't stand it, so he chases after her in a territorial manner acting like he's going to beat her... of course, he doesn't touch her but the threat is enough to cause the anxiety in her three-yr-old body to sky-rocket. (I've had a thousand lectures with Chandler about this begging him not tease her like that.)

She is a good girl and can be very sweet. I desperately want to give her the best home.  I want to help her so much but she can also be so hard, so very, very hard! Never in my life have I experienced a child like her. No one sees the struggles we are going through. No one sees it! When I talk with the social workers, they say I'm doing great. Really? Because I feel like crap! I'm just not who I thought I'd be as a foster mom.

I found a medical term that describes what my husband and I are going through. It's called Post Adoption Depression.  Now, we aren't adopting right now because our goal in foster care is to get these kids to reunification with the birth-parents but many of the symptoms we have been experiencing are the same as listed in Post Adoption Depression.

So what do we do? 
I don't know. I have no clue. 

There are many good moments.  I guess that is what I was trying to capture in my last post... but who am I kidding?... Most of the time, it feels like I'm falling apart. I pray for strength to be a better person. I know I can do better.

-Alicia 

I found a small space in our shrunken world that seemed to validate our emotions. According to this thread, this is "the new normal" and I need to have faith that time will be the healing factor.

Vivian Park - This was a good day for our family. (Foster's faces are blurred because we can't post their pictures.)





3 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Happy Sunday Alicia
I LOVE YOU!!!!
Wow life is so "daily" these days isn't it. I think that we are inspired daily by everything that we are living through. It takes a while to process it and put it into the spaces in our daily journey. Please don't stop writing, I love reading your posts, I have not written in a while, but not because I haven't had anything to say. So much to say, but words are not adequate.
Can't wait to see you in June, maybe then I can share more stories with you.
I read a word of wisdom the other day, that suggested that even though there are moments when we want to literally hit the ground running, sometimes the circumstances force us to take each moment literally one foot in front of the other, step by step.
My life has been a fast moving train, some days things are happening, the Lord is talking and teaching and I just can't appreciate it as it is happening, so I have to "live it" in the present/past, because he has shown me a future happening. Maybe this is how He prepares us to confront issues in faith.
I am being taught about patience, and I feel that maybe you are too? Patience, that gift, the one we open later and never quite figure out how to manifest. But then, with Patience comes Peace.
Peace is a powerful gift Alicia, seek it because I know that you need that right now.
You can call me anytime, I love you and pray always for you and your family. Don't stop writing please, and I will begin again too.

Ramona Gordy said...

I love you Alicia

It's not a failure to "let go". It's not a failure when you are still trying, still making an effort. It's so hard to make these "broken bodies" work in the way we want. But I believe that our hearts are pure, our "work" is good and solid.
It is well Alicia, the Lord is with you and your family.
I


Alicia Rawlins said...

Oh thank you so much, Ramona! I can't wait to meet you in June. I'll take you to lunch to wherever you want to go. It will be my way to thank you for being such an awesome cheerleader in my life.
I have felt at peace even when I have been feeling blank... even through all the turmoil. I don't know how that is possible but I have. It must be in part due to your prayers. Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate them. I pray for you too!
I love how you said it, Ramona! "Life is so daily." It really is. Love you!!