In her arms she held a basket full of gifts.
"What brings you here, my friend?" I asked.
"This is for you," she said with a sparkle in her eyes.
I was shocked. "Why? What for? I don't understand."
"Because, I love you," she said sincerely and smilingly presented me with one gift at a time:
A beanie hat, "Something whimsical."
A journal, "Something thoughtful."
Then, she held up some lotions and essential oils, "Something relaxing."
Next, she pulled out a couple of books, "Something educational and uplifting."
And lastly, she pulled out two large bars of Moser Roth chocolates, "And... something indulging." She winked.
I couldn't believe it. It was just so random. "Wow! Really?! Why all of this? I know I don't deserve it, any of it. Why?"
"Yes." She insisted. "I enjoyed sitting next to you and talking with you in Stake Conference yesterday, I just wanted to express how much I love you."
"That's interesting." I said. "Because, after Stake Conference, I was telling my husband how much I love and adore you. But here you are doing something wonderful for me. You're incredible!" I invited SaraLyn to sit on the porch and talk a while but she couldn't stay. I thanked her again as she prepared to leave. Hugging her as tight as I could, I said goodbye. We both had tears in our eyes.
After she was gone, my kids crowded around to take a look at the basket full of thoughtful gifts. "Look mom, there's a card." Micah pulled it out and held it to my face, "Open it."
In the card was a beautiful thank-you note wrapped around four twenty-dollar bills. My jaw dropped to the ground! "Seriously!!" I laughed and shook my head. "I just don't get it."
I don't know why my friend, SaraLyn, felt to be this generous with me. I honestly haven't done anything fantastic. I think she's just one of those people who love so freely. She has always been this compassionate and thoughtful though. Last summer, when she found out we had to leave our apartment, she made me dinner, collected boxes for the move, invited me over to talk, and let me cry on her shoulder. She has been a God-send on a number of occasions. Maybe yesterday, she recognized that my soul was weary and I needed some sort of outreach. I don't know.
I pray that I can be more aware of others, that I can rise above my own sorrows and recognize when people need me to do for them what SaraLyn did for me. Wow, what a blessing!
-Alicia
2 comments:
Alicia, saw a morsel of chocolate for me lol
Alicia, this is the "raven" syndrome, the Elijah syndrome, the "The Lord loves you as if you were his only child" in moments when we need it and even when we feel we don't deserve it.
Welcome to my world, live in this present, you can pay if forward at any time. This is when you are loved by people you don't even know.
I love you, and pray for you often.
Just say "Thank you Dad"
So true, Ramona. This fits right in with your blog post about the raven and Elijah. The Lord is good to us. I really appreciate your prayers. I pray for you too, my friend. I look forward to treating you to lunch when you are in town.
Post a Comment