Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Slow down!

I have an impeccably clean driving record...
Or at least I did, until today.  I mean, really... who gets pulled over twice in less than 24 hours??  Apparently, I do.

 "Ma'am, why the rush?" the officer asked, as my kids hid their faces with embarrassment. My teenage son slapped his forehead and groaned, "Nice going mom. I told you like three seconds before this happened that you were going to get a ticket."
I think seeing the disappointment in my children's faces gave the officer pity and he let me go with a warning.

The second time didn't turn out as good.  Maybe it's because my children weren't with me to "smooth" things over.  I just made it down the hill when I saw the flashing lights appear in my rear-view mirror.  I thought to myself, "You've got to be kidding."

"Do you have any idea how fast you were going?" Um, I didn't.  I had driven down that street a million times and I honestly didn't feel like I was going any faster than usual.  The chances for the second officer to let me go were slim because he could see in his reports that I had been pulled over just the day before.  I took the ticket feeling totally bummed and drove home.

"Why the rush, Alicia?"  It wasn't the first time someone had asked me that... or at least in words very similar.  The greeter/security guard at the local grocery store (who I swear looks just like Clarence, the angel, from It's a Wonderful Life) always says two things to me when I walk through the doors:  "It's so nice to see your smile again."  and "You are always in a hurry."  He notices it too.  I guess I do run in and out of there pretty fast.

Maybe my experience with being pulled over twice in a row is more than just a fluke to mess up my perfect little driving record.  Maybe it's meant to bring more clearly to my attention,"what lack I yet?"
I've pondered on this all day today and I keep having this strange mix playing in my head of President Uchtdorft's voice,"We would do well to slow down a bit" and Simon & Garfunkel,"Slow down, you're going to fast."

It really is the story of my life.  Perhaps it will be one of those things I will struggle to learn until my dying day...  Or maybe the ailments of age and tutors of experience will finally beat it into me?

Either way... I don't know.
But for now, step aside! I've got places to go, people to see, things to do, and lessons to learn! ;)

-Alicia








2 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Ha Ha (notice I am laughing with you, not at you). But yes, I was a victim of the dreaded "speeding camera". I got a ticket "coming and going" in the same spot, in the same week. And "they" are so slick about it. I got one ticket in the mail about 2 weeks later and I remembered that "feeling" of having the speeding paparazzi taking my picture .
But two weeks later after I had paid it, and had to listen to my husband gripe about it, another came in. I thought "This must be a mistake, I just paid this ticket, and I even contested it. But "they" kindly brought it to my attention that it was during the same week, a different day and going the "other way". Ouch. I was maybe 10-12 miles over the speed limit. I am gonna have to look for "Smokey and the bandit" from now on.
xoxoxoxo

Alicia Rawlins said...

Ha ha, that's awesome! It's nice to know I'm in good company. We don't have many "speeding paparazzi's" here (at least that I know of) I'd hate to find out we do the hard way. ;)