My husband has been sharing with me some great things about adoption. We have shifted from expecting a new-born to possibly a teenage girl who is close to aging out of the foster system. This will mean we need to go through some more training and have a completely new home-study. We've been making adjustments and plans in the kid's room to create more space. It's crazy to believe we're actually doing this.
Last week, I listened to Sister Linda K. Burton's talk from this most recent women's conference a number of times. She spoke of refugees and every time she did all I could think of were these girls I've seen recently on Wednesday's Child.
These are my husband's thoughts concerning the matter - Gosh, I love this guy!
"I listened to Mervyn B. Arnold’s talk “The the Rescue: We Can Do It” from the April 2016 G.C. As he shared his first principle of rescuing, “We Must Not Delay Going to the Rescue”, and as he shared the story of the officials who spent too much time ‘preparing’ and waiting for the opportune moment to rescue the boats at sea, the idea of adoption came to my mind. We have talked about getting our house ready to receive another member. I have spent time thinking about that. I think the thinking time is past. We just need to get to work. I did spend some time considering how and where we would put another person and I think some very good ideas were developed. Alicia liked them and so I don’t think we need to delay any longer. We can also get the adoption people over from foster care for their initial visit and get that rolling as soon as possible. I don’t think it’s a question of whether or not we are going to adopt at this point. It is going to be the question of who. So, I don’t think we need to take the former question to the Lord anymore. I think we need to get into a position where we can pray about who. Without delay!
And then I just read this from the Howard W. Hunter manual: “All of us must finish our “preparations unto the children of men” [D&C 19:19]. Christ’s preparations were quite different from our own, but we all have preparations to make, doors to open. To make such important preparations often will require some pain, some unexpected changes in life’s path, and some submitting, “even as a child doth submit to his father” [Mosiah 3:19]”. We must finish our preparations to that child of men that will join our family and we must have our doors open to do so, including the doors of our hearts. It is going to require some adjustments, perhaps even some pain, and I pray that I may be possessed of charity for perfect love casteth out all fear. I think the point is that we need to get on the stick and get licensed."
No comments:
Post a Comment