We probably made it about 80-90% to the top of the mountain until we ended up getting stuck in the snow and mud. In order to get ourselves un-stuck, we drove backwards down the slushy dirt road for about a half a mile. We never made it to the observatory but were still able to enjoy a spectacular view!! There's something I love about seeing this beautiful valley from a different angle, a fresh perspective.
I think we have the same "fresh perspective" opportunities in our own families, with our spouse and with our children. How often do we take the time to try and see them in a different light, to search for the beauty we've been missing?
I had a few principles stand out to me during some of the church meetings I attended today:
#1 -gratitude-- Be an optimist. Look for the good at home, focus on the qualities you love and admire in your children and your spouse. Exercise drawing your attention to all the great qualities you see in them.
#2 -Make time to connect with each member of your family. Be there for them. Get to know them, their likes and dislikes, their hopes and dreams. Check in with them regularly. Don't be in the habit of checking out.
Our little family drive this evening was fun. I'm so glad we did it. And of course, Chandler found the perfect instrumental music to make the ride a little more magical.
I love that guy!
-Alicia
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough, and more.
It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.
It can turn a meal into a feast,
a house into a home,
a stranger into a friend.
a house into a home,
a stranger into a friend.
-Melody Beattie

No comments:
Post a Comment