I'm at a loss of words with what to post these days. I feel like we've all been through the war with foster care. You know a soldier can prepare and train for battle, they can go through all the drills, but there is nothing like actually being on the front lines. It's a real eye-opener to say the least. Foster care and adoption are extremely romanticized: There is so much more underneath and behind every story.
I met a woman named Hannah in church whose mother-in-law was a foster mom for many years. Last Sunday, Hannah asked me how things were going. I told her, "we're just taking it one day at a time. That's really all we can do." She listened sincerely. Hannah was so thoughtful and quickly sought for some advice from her mother-in-law. Later that afternoon, I received a very long email as a response. I really needed the support.
I know that things could be so much more difficult than they are. I just read a post by another foster mom seeking advice. She explained that her foster son has these outbursts where he starts throwing the heaviest thing in the room and punches her other kids in her family until they bleed. "until they bleed?" Sheesh! Reading that made me very grateful we haven't had any situations that extreme.
Every time we come close to throwing in the towel, both Joseph and I get some kind of impression or some sort of heavenly nod that encourages us to keep going. Last weekend, I went to Time Out for Women. Nathan Pacheco sang the main theme from The Mission (a song that has played a huge role in my life's mission). Later, Micheal Wilcox and Hillary Weeks both gave analogies to trials as climbing a mountain (another parallel in my own life). The part that I least expected was when Emily Freeman spoke briefly about her experience as a foster mom while raising her four biological children. So much of the event felt like a direct message to me... to us, in all we are facing.
This mission wasn't given to us because we were worthy for it. Heaven knows there are a billion other parents who would do a far better job than we are doing! This mission was given to us because we asked for it, we were willing to do it. If we hadn't relied on God before, we're certainly relying on Him now because we definitely can't do this on our own.
"Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ." - 2 Timothy 2:3
"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." - D&C 84:88
-Alicia
2 comments:
Isn't God good Alicia. Gosh,the blessings we receive are two-way and two fold.
James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Just think, Joseph Smith wanted to know what church was the best choice, he wanted to know how to save his soul. He got more than he bargained for, and it was no picnic, but I know that despite all of the persecutions, etc, I am sure he would not have changed it for the world.
I love what Hebrews 12:1 says
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
We are all in this for the long haul, and not only that for the victory. It is already won Alicia. You and your husband are valiant, I love you and pray for you. Hang in there, the devil cannot have our children. What and if in that Day, when the Savior returns, not only will we give an account for our own selves, we may present those children that were fostered to God. What and if these children are a part of those "crowns of glory". No matter how hard, deep down everything you do is appreciated.
Thank you, Ramona! You always know the perfect words to say. This is just what I needed.
Post a Comment