Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Saturday, March 11, 2017

It Only Takes A Spark

Okay, I've got to be better at posting the positive things that I get to witness as a foster parent.  This is one of them!

 I actually think this it's the first he has ever crafted or made something in his entire ten (almost eleven) years of life. I mean, outside of any kind of crafty activities he has done in public school, I think this is the actual first time my foster son has crafted his own toy.  

When he first moved here four-and-a-half months ago, he would get extremely jealous of Micah and all his creations. My foster son would make insulting remarks about his own ability and throw the tools down muttering, "I suck at this. This is stupid. I don't know how to do anything." Of course I'd try to persuade him that none of those negative comments were true but he'd stomp off and absolutely  refuse to listen. I guess after a decade of being babysat 24/7 by video games and television, anyone's self-esteem is bound to struggle. 

This is just a little wooden home he made from an old torn-apart bird house.  On the right is a little traveling box he painted for his two Playmobile guys.  I also showed my foster son how to use my wood-burning tool, which he loved.  It's great to see him discover the fun he can have away from a screen in his face.  He played with this for several hours with Micah. 

Of course, Micah created his own hut too and made a campfire out of paper and markers. It was the perfect place for their Playmobile guys to hang out.
My foster son was so proud of what he made that the next day he took his little wooden house with him to his parent visit to show his mom.  It's so great to see him get a spark of confidence. And that's all it really takes.

-Alicia

No comments: