Now, I get that more parent/child time is needed since the end goal is to reunite these kids with their biological family but it makes the foster kids more emotional, more confused, more difficult to redirect.
I've been so concerned about making sure my own biological children don't feel neglected as I try to work through these issues with the fosters. I've forced myself to stay up past midnight several nights in a row because that's the only time I'll get to just scratch their backs one by one and talk to the children.
I asked some questions on our support group page and immediately a whole bunch of other foster parents chimed in to give their encouragement and validation.
A foster mom related, "One thing that one of my bio children said to me this past summer was, 'You don't know what it's like to share your mom with someone else!' Until that point, I didn't understand her frustration, now I am very careful with how much time is spent with each bio/adopted and foster children. It is a very fine line to walk so that your own children do not build resentment towards you. Foster Care is the hardest thing I have done in my life.
Dozens of comments came back where I knew I had a community who understood my concerns completely.
A couple of comments were a little more light-hearted like this one from a foster dad,
"We thought that as long as the foster kids were little, and younger than our bio kids, then there would be no problems. Bwahahahahaha!"
Others shared ideas of how to unify our family and nourish each relationship, to help create bonds with the bios and the fosters. I'm excited to try some of the ideas.
One particular woman's comments were so great that I had to visit her profile page. There, I discovered this cool photo I have displayed at the top of this post: "Sometime's you gotta fall before you fly."
*Sigh* - Jumping in with both feet can be a little scary.... It's the story of my life though.
"Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the ability to act in spite of it." - anonymous
*Sigh* - Jumping in with both feet can be a little scary.... It's the story of my life though.
"Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the ability to act in spite of it." - anonymous
-Alicia

No comments:
Post a Comment