It's part of my routine now to take my foster children to visit their parents every Tuesday evening for two hours. Sometimes I stay and watch but sometimes it's too hard for me to stay. I learn so much about the children's behavior, the root of their desires, and the habits that seem to be ingrained in them.
Sometimes, I leave these visits feeling very angry and frustrated, wanting to knock some sense into the parents and show them just how much damage they have done. I want to force them to break the vicious cycle they've been in all their lives, somehow just make them stop. I have to remind myself to be forgiving and pray for their parents rather than become resentful.
A couple Tuesdays ago, my foster daughter left the visit with a gift from her mom: a little tiny coin purse on a chain that said, "Thou Shalt Sin". Mom knew that I wouldn't like the text - so as we were leaving, I was grateful when she said that it was up to me if I decided to let her daughter keep it. Of course, my foster daughter didn't want to give up her new gift, no way! So I let her keep it under the condition that she would let me "fix it" first. Her three-year-old mind didn't see the purse as broken but she willingly put it into my hands anyway.
I examined the purse and contemplated how I was going to "fix it". I saw it as an opportunity to teach a subtle lesson. I thought maybe I could insert a "not" between the "shalt sin" part but decided it seemed to be lacking core principle. Maybe I could just paint over the whole thing. I pondered on the commandments God gives us and why He gives them... and then I knew exactly what to do.
The next morning, I showed my foster daughter what I had done to the purse and she beamed with delight. She liked it so much better! (Since she can't read - I'm guessing it was mostly because of the pink letters.)
Even still, this experience is so telling. There are so many layers to it. I've reflected on the transition of thought that comes with three simple words:
"Thou Shalt Sin" - Making a mock of the commandments of God, viewing sin as real freedom, a message to flaunt, to celebrate rebelliousness.
changed to
"Thou Shalt Love" - An understanding of what God's laws really free us to DO and to feel. The foundation and core of Who God IS and what He wants us to ultimately BECOME.
"Thou Shalt Sin" - Making a mock of the commandments of God, viewing sin as real freedom, a message to flaunt, to celebrate rebelliousness.
changed to
"Thou Shalt Love" - An understanding of what God's laws really free us to DO and to feel. The foundation and core of Who God IS and what He wants us to ultimately BECOME.
I'm glad my foster daughter likes her purse better this way.
I do too.
-Alicia
I do too.
-Alicia
"The Great Commandment: Love"
By, Joseph B. Wirthlin

4 comments:
Stand firm in the faith baby girl. You are a good mommy xoxoxoxo
Thank you, my friend!
Alicia
I am coming to Utah in June 14-19
would love to meet you
Ramona
Ramona, that would be awesome! I'll be here those dates. I'll message you my phone number and address. You're welcome to stay with us if you need room and board. If you already have that then we'd at least like to provide you with a meal or two while your in town. This is wonderful news!
Post a Comment