He lives with his grandparents half of the week and spends the other half with his daddy. His mother is rarely in a position to give him the kind of attention that he needs. (Damage from drugs and a blunt head injury keep her swirling in an aimless cycle.) My heart breaks for all the trauma this innocent 8-year-old boy has had to deal with over his short span of life.
Softly, he knocks on my door and asks to play with Micah. I invite the boy in and call for my son. Micah is hiding because he doesn't feel like playing today. I look back at the cute little visitor who frequents our place. There's something about this kid I can't resist. I smile as I watch him adjust the small pair of glasses magnifying his big brown puppy-dog eyes. I call for Micah again but he still refuses. Apologizing to the boy for the situation, I start to open the door to send him back outside but I can't seem to let him go.
Gently, I put my hand on his shoulder, "You know what though... you're welcome to hang out with me. I'm making kale chips. Is that something you want to help with?"
His eyes light up, happy for anything to do, "Sure!"
I pull out a chair at the table and show him how to pluck the leaves from the stems. Dutifully, he gets to work. We take turns filling each layer of the dehydrator and talk about school, Pokemon, and his favorite video games. He tears off the last leaf of kale and looks around for more to keep him busy.
"I have carrots you can help me peel."
"Okay!" He says with excitement. He pulls his chair over to the trash can, awkwardly holds the peeler in his hands, and slides it down the sides of each carrot. Shreds of orange fly every direction. It's obvious this is new to him but I'm so proud of his effort.
"What's the secret?" I ask .
"To what?" he looks up.
"How do I get my own kids to help me like this?"
He smiles proudly.
"... I just like to."
"Well, you're doing a great job. Remind me to get you a treat when we're done."
After a few more chores and small talks, we finish and I walk him outside. "I got a new scooter" he says pointing to it propped against the stairs. He lets me take it for a spin. "This is pretty sweet!" I exclaim as I hand it back over. Sheepishly, he grins and turns around to head back home. "Thanks for coming!" I wave. "Thank you," he says.
My heart is full. Any emptiness, loneliness, or anxiety I might have felt is gone. Nothing but pure and gentle peace abide in my heart. I wonder how it is possible to have such a simple interaction do so much for my soul. Then a scripture comes into my mind, "For such is the kingdom of Heaven." I smile, grateful for this little child I let in my life today.
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment