Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Imperfection


“Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for. 
For not one of us, no, not one, is perfect. 
And were we to love none who had imperfection, 
this world would be a desert for our love.” 
- Thomas Jefferson

I came across this statement in my studies for American Heritage yesterday.  I've been fascinated with all that I've been learning about Thomas Jefferson.  What an interesting man!  He was very enigmatic, quiet, studious, pensive, and extraordinarily brilliant.  Yet, even men like him recognized that imperfection comes to everyone and no soul is exempt from flaws.

Of course we must always strive to be better and seek improvement... but some expectations can drown us, especially when we expect perfection to flow like an endless stream in our lives, in our schedules, in our homes, in every person, and every relationship... How sorry we will be when we discover that it is nowhere to be found. And the hours and minutes that could have been spent appreciating and enjoying everything is swept away in the dragging undercurrent and isolating trench of carping criticism.

I truly believe that perfectionism suffocates our ability to deeply love and to be loved in return.  I have discovered that as I rid myself of expectations for everything to go as I have planned, as I allow room for myself, my house, my family, my life, and all my associations to be imperfect... something beautiful happens... love grows... and I find freedom!

-Alicia
"Come What May and Love It"


4 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Hi Alicia!!
Thought provoking post: I like this quote by Brene Brown
You're imperfect, and you're wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging. Brene Brown

Thomas Jefferson is a prickly historical character, some would say he harbored dueling personalities, maybe he was a hypocrite.
I watched a show on the Smithsonian channel about the "Thomas Jefferson Bible" Here are some quotes on his thoughts concerning Christianity:

"To the corruptions of Christianity I am indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself." -Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Book Quote: With these words, written to a personal friend, Thomas Jefferson began one of the most audacious religious experiments in American history. On and off for the next seventeen years (including his term in the White House), Jefferson cut and pasted the philosophy of Jesus Christ, as recorded in Scripture, into one compact statement. He purposefully omitted any references to the virgin birth, miraculous healings, demonic possession, or supernatural events of any kind. His aim was to distinguish the moral philosophy of Christ from the religion that was later created around Christ."

Wow, he cut and pasted parts of the Bible that he deemed fit, even those event's inhabited by Jesus.I wonder how he would have reacted to the Book of Mormon

Quote:Although the author of the Declaration of Independence was one of the great champions of religious freedom, his belief system was sufficiently out of the mainstream that opponents in the 1800 presidential election labeled him a “howling Atheist.”

Also, he had strong intellectual views on race and slavery. He advocated the end of slavery, but yet did not vouch for citizenship of newly freed slaves, but advocated sending them back "to Africa". As a slave owner himself, he did not free his slaves until after he had died."

Quote: At the time of the American Revolution, Jefferson was actively involved in legislation that he hoped would result in slavery’s abolition.5 In 1778, he drafted a Virginia law that prohibited the importation of enslaved Africans.6 In 1784, he proposed an ordinance that would ban slavery in the Northwest territories.7 But Jefferson always maintained that the decision to emancipate slaves would have to be part of a democratic process; abolition would be stymied until slaveowners consented to free their human property together in a large-scale act of emancipation. To Jefferson, it was anti-democratic and contrary to the principles of the American Revolution for the federal government to enact abolition or for only a few planters to free their slaves.8

Jefferson’s belief in the necessity of abolition was intertwined with his racial beliefs. He thought that white Americans and enslaved blacks constituted two “separate nations” who could not live together peacefully in the same country.14 Jefferson’s belief that blacks were racially inferior and “as incapable as children,”15 coupled with slaves’ presumed resentment of their former owners, made their removal from the United States an integral part of Jefferson’s emancipation scheme. Influenced by the Haitian Revolution and an aborted rebellion in Virginia in 1800, Jefferson believed that American slaves’ deportation—whether to Africa or the West Indies—was an essential followup to emancipation.16

I really appreciate this information concerning Thomas Jefferson, I think it gives us a view into the thinking patterns into the society of the 1600-1700's, even the 1800-1900. Maybe then we can answer the questions of "blacks in the priesthood", women in the priesthood, why can't we all just get along etc
So this is not a rant, but I see a light shedding on some of our most troubling questions and behavior. Perfectionism as intolerance and all of its appendages.

Alicia Rawlins said...

Thanks for those quotes Ramona. I know it's not a rant. I love the things you share here. I think I've been intrigued by Jefferson because he did seem to have a split personality. I cannot wrap my mind around how he wrote those first lines of the Declaration of Independence and yet viewed blacks as inferior. It makes no sense at all. Maybe he shared his thoughts on imperfection because it soothed his own hypocrisy? I am grateful however that his form of government helped paved the way that led to the abolition.

I suppose I take comfort in knowing that this country was founded by fallible men. It encourages me to keep trying and dream big even with all my multiple imperfections. I love what Elder Holland said in April 2013, "Imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we."

I also love President Hinckley's words from 2001 - "I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we “accentuate the positive.” I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort. I am not asking that all criticism be silenced. Growth comes of correction. Strength comes of repentance. Wise is the man who can acknowledge mistakes pointed out by others and change his course.

What I am suggesting is that each of us turn from the negativism that so permeates our society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom we associate, that we speak of one another’s virtues more than we speak of one another’s faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears. "

I think you hit the nail on the head when you equate perfectionism with intolerance!

Ramona Gordy said...

Alicia
I love those quotes from Elder Holland and President Hinckley. I really take to heart the line..it must be terribly frustrating to Him, but he deals with it. The mind picture of Heavenly Father "dealing with me" like one would a child who can't hear the word "no"; ha ha.

I take in deeply the words of President Hinckley because they make so much sense. My husband is always reminding me to be more positive. I try, but life is so dark, but my reactions to the darkness are not one of anger, but of deep introspection. I am trying to remember to bring a flashlight.
"Growth comes out of correction", love love love. I am having an A-ha moment.

Thank you thank you thank you

Alicia Rawlins said...

Ramona,
Deep introspection is a place few people are brave enough to venture. I think it's vital to dig into the dark of our own hearts... only so long as we remember to "bring a flashlight." I really like that visual you just gave me. The light of Truth will help us correct our fallacies but never condemn us for them.

Through this conversation, I keep thinking of that beautiful song you shared with me "Real" by, Nichole Nordeman. We are to be perfected in Christ. He calls for us to come unto Him and I rejoice that we can feel comfortable approaching one so flawless... Yet He took upon Himself all our imperfections as if they were His own. In order to be sincere followers, to "be one" with Him, we too must look beyond the weaknesses, the imperfections, and fragility of man and seek to compliment the virtue and the good. As we do so, we are no longer slaves to pessimism and negativism. In this there is Truth... and the Truth will set us free!!

Love you, Ramona!