Other great prophets recognized this truth;
Mormon said, "O how great is the nothingness of the children of men." - Helaman 12:7
King Benjamin counseled, " I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness" - Mosiah 4:11
So when I say that I am nothing, I'm not trying to put myself down... I'm just stating a simple fact. Paul taught that the only thing that can transform me into something is charity, the pure love of Christ. In 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 He says that even if I can speak a ton of languages including the language of angels, even if I had so many gifts and talents or had the faith to move mountains, even if I gave myself as a martyr, I'd still be nothing if I didn't have God's love.
Just a little over seven years ago, when our little family was facing a great financial deficit, I went to the temple in the spirit of fasting and prayer. There I saw myself on a hillside among the 5,000 people whom Christ fed with just a couple fish and a few loaves of bread. When the basket got to me, I began to argue, "There isn't enough here for us.... if I do the math, there just isn't enough! It's so obvious." Then I imagined the One holding the basket out to me was the Savior, Himself. I looked in His eyes and was silent as He spoke, "How much do you trust Me, Alicia? Stop doing the math. Where is your faith?" I couldn't argue with that. I knew that financially, we would be fine and to plan for miracles.
Often times, I re-visit that hillside in prayer and envision myself face-to-face with the Lord again. Only this time, not in a financial deficit but in a very real spiritual, physical, emotional, and intellectual one; So many areas I'm missing, so many qualities I'm lacking. And I ask Him about my life's mission, "Why me? I just don't add up! It's so painfully obvious I'm not qualified for this... I'm not ready for that. To think I could make any kind of difference is almost laughable. I am nothing." Lovingly and sternly, He gives me the same answer, "How much do you trust me, Alicia? Stop doing the math. Where is your faith?"
I heard this song for the first time just a couple of days ago and the lyrics were perfect for the encouragement I needed. "You take all kinds of nothing, turn it right into something... You take every doubt and you make something out of me." If man is nothing and God's work and His glory is to bring to pass their immortality and eternal life of man. (Moses 1:39)... Then it must mean that not only can He make something out of nothing... this is His specialty!! He does it all the time! What He is able to do through and with me is far more miraculous that what He can do with bread and fish. How much do I trust Him?
Because of a merciful, loving and all-knowing Father in Heaven, I echo Ammon's testimony, "I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things." - Alma 26:12
-Alicia
by, Nichole Nordeman
Just You and me on a hillside
And 4,999
If You could see on the inside
What I brought, what I need, how I’m caught in between....
...You take all kinds of nothing
Turn it right in to something
I see impossible, but You see a basket full of
A little bit of this sounds crazy
A little bit of just maybe
You take every doubt and
You make something out of me"
No comments:
Post a Comment