Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

"As Thou Wilt" - Ponderize - Week 25

I had the opportunity to take my son and four other youth to the brand new City Center Temple this morning.  Chandler wanted to get there super early so he left with his friend at 4:30 am.  I met him later at 5.  We weren't the first ones in the font but we were pretty close.

It was great to see some familiar faces with Brother and Sister Oliver & Brother and Sister Rowley  (Workers from the old Provo Temple on the hill.)  In this new Temple, I love the stain glass windows on the wooden doors in the baptistry there because you can see clearly through them into the next room. The whole Temple is absolutely beautiful.

Since Easter is this coming Sunday, I took my scripture study focus to the later chapters in Matthew and the week of events leading up to the Savior's atonement.  It caused me to reflect on the wonderful lesson Miriam and Micah gave last night for FHE.   I've been pondering on the verse where it describes Jesus praying in Gethsemane, "He went a little further, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." -  Matt 26:39

Those words, "As Thou wilt" stood out to me more than usual and I read them in modern language, "As you wish."  This may seem kind-of cheesy, but reading it like that immediately made me think of The Princess Bride and the code-word Westley uses for "I love you."  As cheesy of a parallel it may seem, I think it really fits!!

"As Thou Wilt = As You Wish = I Love You." 

 It makes so much sense!  The only thing is now every time I watch that movie and every time I read this verse, both will come to my mind. ....I guess that's okay as long as I don't have thoughts of Westley rolling down a hill during the sacrament.  :P

-Alicia

No comments: