Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Thursday, March 17, 2016

At the End of the Rainbow Cupcake

I started off the morning yesterday reading from Alma 47 about Lehonti and how "Amalickiah did stir up the Lamanites to anger against the people of Nephi." I visited scriptures.byu.edu to find some good conference talks to assist me in my study and listened to them as I got ready for the day.


 I was off to a great start and felt pretty good. I resolved to make my home a little haven from the world, a place free of contention.  
After my history class and a lovely walk back to my house, I began tackling the various chores that needed attention.  As the kids finished their assignments, friends began to visit and our living room became nice and full.  I began making dinner preparations.  Kids made huts, colored pictures, and watched Bad Lip Reading episodes about StarWars.  (Quite hilarious, if I do say so.... especially the Yoda song stuck in my head.

Miriam reminded me that we hadn't made our traditional rainbow cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day.  I showed her where the cake-mix was and she and her friend went to work.  Soon all the children wanted to contribute in the rainbow cupcake making. Everything was going smoothly until I realized how late things were getting and remembered an essay due for my class.  
I looked around at the mess of markers and paper scraps, blankets draped over chairs, play-dough in the corner, dinner preparations on the counter, and cupcake making spread across the table.  The children were on a roll, their creative juices were flowing.... and once they get started - their's no stopping.
I sighed because I knew I had painted myself into a corner and would never get to my history paper.  I could feel myself becoming irritated with my situation... But then I began to feel more irritated at myself for being irritated.  :P Which was really lame because I just spent the morning studying all about avoiding contention. 
Children have this sixth-sense and can detect tone or a shift in atmosphere with almost canine abilities.  They could tell the moment my mood had changed.  Disappointed in myself, I felt like a blew a perfectly good day.

It was 10 pm by the time I was able to get started on my paper for my class.  I was tired though and knew I wouldn't be able to focus so I decided to just go to bed and have a fresh mind in the morning.  There on my pillow was this cute little note from Micah.  "Dear Mom, I'm sorry you had such a rough night.  But St. P day is coming! Smile"  
Of course, I smiled.  I walked into his room, holding the card in my hand, "Bud, you're so awesome!" He threw his arms around me, hugging me tightly.  Kaylee heard us talking and climbed out of her bed to join in the hugfest.  I'm glad children are so forgiving.  I thanked them for their patience with me.  
I'm grateful today is a brand new day.... and it's St. P day.  :)
-Alicia

No comments: