Some of the best advice I've been given from the foster care support group was from a seasoned foster parent. She said that for every time-out my foster daughter has to go to, give her time-in... meaning: hold her, play with her, talk to her.
Its been working.
As hard as it has been to show this increase of love after discipline, I've noticed that it has really helped. And I don't see it as reinforcing the bad behavior because she still has the "time-out" but it's reinforcing her sense of being in a secure place, where there's no threat of abandonment.
Speaking of time-out...
I get to have a little one myself... but this is a good time-out, one I get to spend with all my sisters-in-law Feb. 17-18. One of the guest speakers will be Tim Ballard. I first heard him at World Congress in 2015 with my Big Ocean group. If you don't know who he is, go watch the documentary, The Abolitionist. The story is mind-blowing, absolutely incredible!
Layton's 2017 Time Out for Women has a great line-up of speakers for the whole weekend. My sisters-in-law and I used to go to TOFW every year but it has been a while since we've gone last. I'm excited! The awesome thing about it is, I'm always in the mood for more time-IN with ALL the children after this time-out.
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment