Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Favorite Things

I stay up late most nights taking turns scratching each of the kids backs and listening to them tell me about their day or ask questions about life.  My foster son loves to be last so he can get the longest back scratch and talk to me the most... Tonight he wanted to have a tickle fight after his back scratch was over--making him completely giddy... (so much for sleepiness).  He loves to find whatever way he can to get physical affection (something he has been starved of his whole life). Eventually, he fell asleep. It was cute.

I feel like today ended as a pretty good day.  After all the kids finally dozed off, I reflected on the good time I had visiting at their bedsides. I feel so blessed to have each of them in my life.

One of my favorite things about being a mom is watching all my children discover their own unique passions and talents:


  • Miriam is my little author.  Whenever she has a spare moment, she loves to write books, mostly mystery and suspense books. She loves to have me and Joseph proof-read every chapter. I won't be surprised to see her name published someday.
  • Micah is my sculptor and engineer. He loves to craft things, and he can create just about anything.  He's incredible! He sculpted and sold a nativity set at our friend's shop up the street.  He really could easily sell almost all of his creations. 
  • Honestly, I haven't discovered one particular focus Kaylee has a passion for... she's just passionate.  She's my little lover, always giving away hugs and kisses galore, especially to little babies.
  • I'm still working on helping my foster son develop a passion for something.  He doesn't have much confidence in himself.  I keep telling him that he can do so much more than he realizes.  
  • My foster daughter is only three...  I'm still trying to discover her passion too.
  • And last but not least, Chandler's favorite thing in the whole wide world (besides watching football), is writing electronic dance music.  Chandler began his own SoundCloud page three months ago.  I have to say, for a fifteen-year-old kid, he has some pretty impressive stuff that he has composed.  The other night, Chandler was showing me the latest track he had written.  His stuff is really worth a listen.  When he was finished showing me his work, he playfully nudged me insisting that he share a quick Youtube video about electronic dance music.  It's a pretty funny clip, clearly making a mock of EDM,  We both had a very good laugh together.


I love being a mom... sure it's a tough job but it's so fun to watch my kids grow and see their unique personalities. Time is passing much faster than I ever imagined it would.  I want to hang on to everything I can.

-Alicia


No comments: