It's a stand or tower where the Zoramites gave their rote prayers saying how grateful they were that they were better than everyone else. When Alma and Amulek viewed the scene of such wickedness and arrogance, they were filled with sorrow.
Alma described that the Zoramites "were a wicked and a perverse people... their hearts were set upon gold, and upon silver, and upon all manner of fine goods...their hearts were lifted up unto great boasting, in their pride... they cry unto [God], and yet their hearts are swallowed up in their pride. ... they cry unto [God] with their mouths, while they are puffed up even to greatness, with the vain things of the world." - Alma 31:24,25,27
This kind of pride is so tragic, so tragic that when Alma witnesses it he cries out with his own prayer, "O Lord, wilt thou suffer that thy servants shall dwell here below in the flesh, to behold such gross wickedness among the children of men?" - Alma 31:26
When I read these things, I can't help wonder what the Rameumptoms of today might look like. I don't think they would be physical towers. But what other means could we use to rise above the crowd and boast? How are we channeling attention to ourselves and away from the Lord?
After reading Alma 31 and Proverbs 16:18-19 this morning, I found a quote from a lead pastor that says, "Pride is that ugly part of your heart that causes you to be more concerned about yourself and your own reputation than you are about Christ and his." - Sam Storms (Christian Living - May 6, 2015 - How Pride Poisons the Soul)
Interesting how this pastor describes arrogance as "that ugly part" and Alma describes it as "gross". Perfect descriptions, I think!
Now, Alma's mission wasn't completely full of gross and depressing scenes of wickedness. He also met those who were repentant, who "took no thought for themselves" who had great faith and focus on Christ, so much in fact that in every affliction they were, "swallowed up in the joy of Christ". (Alma 31:37-38)
It must have been a breath of fresh air for Alma to meet those who had been humbled. In fact, I know it made him very happy because in Alma 32:6 it says it says he beheld them "with great joy".
From my own experiences, I can see a world of difference, night and day difference, when I meet people who "take no thought of themselves" who are truly and sincerely focused on the Savior. They are the ones that shine to me, and they don't even know it. They have discovered where real, lasting beauty resides.
From my own experiences, I can see a world of difference, night and day difference, when I meet people who "take no thought of themselves" who are truly and sincerely focused on the Savior. They are the ones that shine to me, and they don't even know it. They have discovered where real, lasting beauty resides.
Wow, what a contrast!
No comments:
Post a Comment