Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Friday, September 29, 2017

Roll With It

It's fun picking Chandler up from work, watching him come out of the office doors dressed in a collared shirt and slacks, sporting a suave half-smile. At sixteen years old, Chandler is the youngest drafter the architecture firm has ever hired - the next oldest up from him is about twenty-three.

Chandler works every other day just a regular nine-to-five job. Then, he's on the high-school campus with the days in between. During the space in the evenings where he is home, he's either writing music or catching up with his online schoolwork. He's very busy these days but I love seeing him learn more responsibility.

With his full schedule, it's rare to be able to pull him away to engage with the family very much. The other day, I came through the door hauling groceries into the house - I glanced over at Chandler at the kitchen table (who was busy as usual writing music on his laptop) I glanced down at the large package of toilet paper rolls I had just set by the bathroom. I had a brilliant idea.... I couldn't restrain the urge to seize an opportunity to have a little fun. 

I filled my arms with rolls of toilet paper and crouched behind the counter. Then, when I got a good view of Chandler's head, I chucked a roll at him. 
I missed. 
He smiled because he knew exactly what I was up to. I chucked a second roll and he reflexively caught it. He smiled again because he knew my attempts were thwarted. I opened rapid fire and he deflected every shot until I was completely out of ammo.

But now, surrounding his work-space was a pile of toilet paper rolls. He had all of them and I had none. He began firing back as I ducked and dodged... but mostly got hit. I sighed, acting defeated as I gathered all the rolls into a bag and  walked toward the living room, "Well, I better go put these away" I stepped around the corner out of his view.  

I waited until I knew he was focused on his work again (although, I'm pretty sure he knows me well enough to have anticipated my return). Nevertheless, when the time was right, I jumped out from the corner and threw one last roll squarely at his head! "Ha ha! Gotcha!" 

We both laughed and I was grateful I was able to steal his time for some light-hearted playing. Spontaneous moments like these make the best memories!

No comments: