Just over a week ago, we had Region Conference for our church services. Elder Dean Davies, 2nd Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric, testified of patterns found within the scriptures, especially in the Book of Mormon.
In my personal studies this past week, I read about the Liahona sent from God to guide Nephi and Lehi's family to the "more fertile parts of the wilderness." I believe the patterns within the Book of Mormon are spindles on our own compass which point and lead us to "the more fertile parts" of the Gospel, patterns that enrich and deepen our understanding of what we must be aware of and be prepared for in these last days.
"And we did follow the directions of the ball, which led us in the more fertile parts of the wilderness." - 1 Nephi 16:16
"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings and He will direct the for good." - Alma 37:37
"The [compass or Liahona] did work for them according to their faith in God; therefore, if they had faith to believe those spindles should point the way they should go, behold, it was done." - Alma 37:40
The Liahona led Lehi's family "in the more fertile parts of the wilderness," Likewise, the Book of Mormon points us and leads us to a greater understanding of our Father's plan, to principles of greener pastures and living water.
Spindles of the Book of Mormon
- Pointing to the Words of Isaiah
"give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you, nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy" - (2 Ne. 25:4)
" I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words. For I will liken his words unto my people" - (2 Ne. 11:2)
"my soul delighteth in the words of Isaiah" - (2 Ne. 25:5)
"I did rehearse unto them the words of Isaiah" - (2 Ne. 15:20)
"I would speak unto you concerning things which are, and which are to come; wherefore, I will read you the words of Isaiah" - (2 Ne. 6:4)
"when the words of Isaiah should be fulfilled—behold they are written, ye have them before you, therefore search them" - (3 Ne. 20:11)
"search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah" - (3 Ne. 23:1)
"And now I write some of the words of Isaiah" - (1 Ne. 11:8)
- Pointing to the Book of Revelations
(The Second -Half of Nephi's Vision) "The angel spake unto me, saying: Look!...Behold one of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. Behold, he shall see and write the remainder of these things; yea, and also many things which have been" - (1 Ne. 14:18-27)
"then shall my revelations which I have caused to be written by my servant John be unfolded in the eyes of all the people. Remember, when ye see these things, ye shall know that the time is at hand that they shall be made manifest in very deed" - (Ether 4:16)
- Pointing to the Teachings of Malachi
"And it came to pass that he [Jesus] commanded them that they should write the words which the Father had given unto Malachi" - (3 Ne. 24:1)
- Pointing to the Savior and His Ministry
The Book of Mormon has well over 650 references to Jesus Christ and the most important event is the Savior's visit among the ancient people after His resurrection. Verses of Matthew are referenced from several chapters with a strong emphasis on Matthew 5, 6, and 7. There are numerous amounts of my favorite verses in the Book of Mormon that testify of Christ but if I had to narrow it down to one or two, it would most likely be, 2 Nephi 31:19 &20.
- Pointing to the Importance of Living Prophets
I did a blog post a while back on the pattern of prophets found in the Book of Mormon. I discovered witness after witness of how God works through His servants. I believe there has never been a time in the history of the world where true prophets, who speak the word of the Lord, have been more needed than today. The Book of Mormon points to the truth of this Gospel, that it was restored through the prophet Joseph Smith and that we have living prophets today. General Conference, is just around the corner and my heart is elated to sit at the feet once again of these leaders who have been called of God.
.......
If we take a moment and study these areas where we have been directed or pointed to, what is being taught? Why are these portions emphasized? What message do they contain? It's been good for me to cross over and take a deeper look in these directions. There are many patterns in the Book of Mormon to be discovered as we make a serious study of it: patterns of principle, patterns of revelation, patterns of pride, patterns of apostasy, patterns of conversion, and patterns of happiness.
Oh how I love the Book of Mormon! Searching and studying it has literally saved me, it has been my anchor through every storm and the light of my every day. It has shaped my testimony and continues to do so. This is where I have discovered the abundant life!! It truly has led me to the "more fertile parts" of the Gospel. I am so richly blessed!
"There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. You will find greater power to resist temptation. You will find the power to avoid deception. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. The scriptures are called 'the words of life' (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance." - Ezra Taft Benson - Oct. 1986
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment