Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

But if Not

My husband and I had a wonderful conversation yesterday about the power of faith and heartfelt prayer in our lives.  We discussed at length our admiration for the brother of Jared to have the kind of faith that "he could not be kept from within the veil."  Joseph expressed that his greatest desire is to learn to listen and act upon the Spirit without hesitation. Such responsiveness is faith! He is absolutely sincere and I dearly love him for this desire!!

 I've been pondering a lot lately and have desperately wanted to know how closely I follow the Spirit in my own life.  I strive with all my heart to be "in tune" but I'm sure there are times I am not.  When I am "out of tune" or have impressions that are not from God, I pray the Lord will please show me so that I may not become one of those very elect who are deceived.

Most of the time I feel as if my eyes are covered by a veil and I can't see where the Lord is leading me.... but I've had glimpses that have "parted that veil," glimpses that pertain to my own personal future, glimpses that I am certain are from God but I do not understand them, I can't explain them, and I cannot pretend to know their meaning.  

So, I move on into the unknown.  And even though these questions linger, I'm learning to find peace, the kind of peace that if the Lord were to command us, I'd be ready to pick up all of our belongings and carry my little family somewhere far away from this beautiful place I call home. I trust that someday, somehow I will understand the meaning of these puzzle pieces that have been placed before me.  

There are volumes of mysteries in life, plenty of things I'm ignorant to.  But I DO know that God is shaping my soul.  I have prayed that He would refine me and make weak things become strong and I have truly felt His refining and strengthening power.  I still have quite a ways to go but God is ever faithful, always fair, and wonderfully good.  There is no question in my mind of His character.  It is my character that is on trial!

I know that God is a loving Father and gives me experiences that are custom fit to shape me and deepen my trust in Him.  I thank Him for such lessons even if they are painful at times or don't make a lot of sense.

"Men accomplish marvelous things by trusting in the Lord and keeping His commandments—by exercising faith even when they don’t know how the Lord is shaping them." - Elder Dennis E. Simmons - (April 2004 - But if Not) 

I remember when I first heard this talk by, Dennis Simmons. This is a great one!!  I've returned to listen to it many times.  It truly resonates clearly within my heart.  I am so blessed to have this Gospel! https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2004/04/but-if-not?lang=eng

-Alicia

No comments: