Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Using Words

"Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary use words." 

A sister shared this quote in Sacrament Meeting today.  I've heard it many times before and It always strikes me deep.  I often worry that I'm one of those who talks too much.  I certainly feel like I have plenty of room for improvement in the "practice what I preach" arena.  Admittedly, whenever I hear this quote, I feel to step back, examine myself more fully, and think, "Man, I really need to train myself to shut my mouth."

However, I don't think this quote means that words aren't necessary.  Take a look at 2 Nephi 25:26, where the Prophet Nephi says we are to talk, rejoice, preach, prophesy, and write of Christ.  All of these connote the use of words.

Elder Holland also expounds upon the importance of words: "In his deeply moving final testimony, Nephi calls us to “follow the Son [of God], with full purpose of heart,” promising that “after ye have … received the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost, [ye] can speak with a new tongue, yea, even with the tongue of angels. … And … how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost? Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ.”  Indeed, Christ was and is “the Word,” according to John the Beloved,  full of grace and truth, full of mercy and compassion." - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland (The Tongue of Angels) (2 Nephi 31:13–14; 32:2–3

Clearly we see the necessity of words -  it is through their power that heaven and earth are bound together, through words that we commune with God, call down angels, and connect with each other.  But just as we are merely dust without our Father in Heaven, our words are also useless and hollow if our hearts are not sincere.

Paul taught, "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:1,2

It is only when love, pure Christ-like love, is our moving and motivating force that our words have any power.  And what is Christ-like love?  It is certainly more than lip service. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments."

"Spiritually mature obedience is 'the Savior’s obedience.' It is motivated by true love for Heavenly Father and His Son. When we willingly obey, as our Savior did, we cherish the words of our Heavenly Father." - Elder Robert D. Hales - April 2014

The Savior's obedience is motivated by true love for our Father - which ultimately means His love was displayed by sacrifice.

When we sincerely love, honor, and cherish God's word, we will feel the necessity to preach the Gospel at all times, we willingly sacrifice... and what we say will be every bit a part of what we do.

I pray that the Lord will strengthen me to be a better witness of Him.

-Alicia


If I sing but don't have love
I waste my breath with every song
I bring an empty voice, a hollow noise
If I speak with a silver tongue
Convince a crowd but don't have love
I leave a bitter taste with every word I say

So let my life be the proof,
The proof of your love
Let my love look like You and what You're made of
How You lived, how You died
Love is sacrifice
So let my life be the proof,
The proof of Your love

If I give
To a needy soul but don't have love then who is poor?
It seems all the poverty is found in me

So let my life be the proof,
The proof of Your love
Let my love look like You and what You're made of
How You lived, how You died
Love is sacrifice
Oh, let my life be the proof,
The proof of Your love

When it's all said and done
When we sing our final song
Only love remains
Only love remains

Let my life be the proof,
The proof of Your love
Let my love look like You and what You're made of
How You lived, how You died
Love is sacrifice
So let my life be the proof,
The proof of Your love

No comments: