Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

I Cannot Deny It

I'm back to the beginning and reading the Book of Mormon over again.  I love the testimony of Joseph Smith and the other witnesses at the preface.  One testimony that has been given but not found in these pages is that of Emma Smith, the wife of the prophet Joseph.  For a short period she assisted him in the translation. In her own words she describes how miraculous the translation of the Book of Mormon was.


“Although the Prophet would polish his skills over the years, Emma acknowledged that Joseph possessed only rudimentary literacy at the time he translated the gold plates:


“‘Joseph Smith … could neither write nor dictate a coherent and well-worded letter; let alone dictating a book like the Book of Mormon. And, though I was an active participant in the scenes that transpired, it is marvelous to me, “a marvel and a wonder,” as much so as to any one else.’ (Ibid)” (“A Treasured Testament,” Ensign, July 1993, 62–63).


It is nothing short of a miracle that Joseph Smith translated this powerful book!  I love what President Hugh B. Brown says in his dissertation "The Profile of a Prophet."


"I believe the Prophet Joseph Smith was a prophet because he did many superhuman things. One was translating the Book of Mormon. Some people will not agree, but I submit to you that the Prophet Joseph Smith in translating the Book of Mormon did a superhuman work. I ask you students to undertake to write a story on the ancient inhabitants of America, to write as he did without any source of material. Include in your story 54 chapters dealing with wars, 21 historical chapters, and 55 chapters on visions and prophecies. And, remember, when you begin to write on visions and prophecies, you must have your record agree meticulously with the Bible. You must write 71 chapters on doctrine and exhortation, and here, too, you must check every statement with the scriptures or you will be proven to be a fraud. You must write 21 chapters on the ministry of Christ, and everything you claim He said and did and every testimony you write in your book about Him must agree absolutely with the New Testament.


I ask you, would you like to undertake such a task? I would suggest to you too that you must employ figures of speech, similes, metaphors, narrations, exposition, description, oratory, epic, lyric, logic, and parables. Undertake that, will you?


I ask you to remember that the man who translated the Book of Mormon was a young man who hadn’t had the opportunity of schooling that you have had, and yet he dictated that book in just a little over two months and made very few, if any, corrections. For over one hundred years some of the best students and scholars of the world have been trying to prove from the Bible that the Book of Mormon is false, but not one of them has been able to prove that anything he wrote was not in strict harmony with the scriptures—with the Bible and with the word of God."- Hugh B. Brown


I have read and studied the Book of Mormon many times.  I know it is true!  I know Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God!  There are so many who struggle to believe though.  Joseph himself said: “I don’t blame anyone for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I would not have believed it myself."


Why is it that we are so skeptical of visions and revelation from heaven?  Perhaps because there are many stories where we hear of people who have been deceived.  


And how does a person know they are not being decieved?  I know that it's possible for me to be and that is why as far as communion with heaven, I may struggle with my own personal revelations regarding my own life and shake my head in disbelief. From time to time, I'll doubt if I have been led by the spirit or not...  
But even in all that I lack as far as gifts of the spirit, there is one thing I know I have not been decieved in and that is my testimony of this Gospel. I will never doubt the visions and dreams of Joseph Smith.  I know he was worthy, that he was divinely appointed to restore these things in this dispensation. I will never doubt the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, the reality of living prophets on the earth,  that God has spoken and continues to speak to us, and that prayers are heard and answered.  


Some of my favorite words found in Joseph Smith's History are these from the prophet:
"I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." Joseph Smith--History 1:25


What a blessing a treasure is found in this wonderful Gospel!  It is priceless and it all started with a book, The Book of Mormon. Ever since I read it for the first time through and all the many times after, I have felt its light in my life.  I know it's true and I know Joseph Smith was called of God. I know we have living prophets today with authority to speak in Christ's name and I cannot deny it!


-Alicia

No comments: