"Turn and face the strange."
This David Bowie classic was never a favorite song of mine but somehow I always find myself singing it when life shifts in new or unknown directions . A couple of days ago, I was discussing with my group of homeschool moms all of the things that are unraveling in the world and in the church. We are witnessing an unprecedented gathering and unification among people of all faiths. Scriptures are being fulfilled and the Lord is hastening His work. It's a wonderful time to be alive!
"The changes that have occurred and are presently occurring in the Church are of epic proportions: prophecy fulfilling, mind-boggling, and—for those of us who are convinced that the Restoration is a reality—thrilling. " - President Rex E. Lee
Conference begins today with the General Women's Session and the other sessions in a week. I love Christmas but sorry Andy Williams, "THIS is the MOST wonderful time of the year!!"
This conference is going to be different than others I've experienced in the past. It hasn't been since 1906 three new apostles have been called at the same time. And I have a feeling in the next six months, we will witness two more called in. This is huge and I anticipate with these things there will also be a few policy or program changes. I imagine that some of these changes may even try our faith, some members may complain about or become irritated with them. Because this is a church led by Divine revelation, a world-wide and rapidly growing organization, adjustments to programs or policy often become necessary.
With these changes taking place... How do we reconcile the scripture found in Mormon 9:9? "For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?"
We understand:
"What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." - D&C 1:38
Also, "We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." -Articles of Faith 1:9
What François de la Rochefoucauld has said may be true. “The only thing constant in life is change.” We can see all around us every day, on earth and in the sky above evidence of motion, conversion, transformation, and flux. As mysterious and strange as it may seem, change is a beautiful and essential part of creation!
So how is it God doesn't change? It is His doctrine and principles that remain absolute. With God, there is no such thing as moral relativism. He is a God of perfect responsibility and trust.
President Rex E. Lee said,
“I cannot think of anything more important than for each of you to build a firm, personal testimony that there are in this life some absolutes, things that never change, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. They are eternal truths, eternal principles and, as Paul tells us, they are and will be the same yesterday, today, and forever.”
This is what I know for certain will always remain standing and true forever:
- God lives! We have a loving Father in Heaven who hears and answers our prayers. We can commune with Him night and day. He is deeply involved in our lives and cares about us making choices that set our souls free and help us reach our Divine potential.
- Jesus Christ is our Savior, our Redeemer. He is one with our Father and has atoned for our sins. It is only in and through Him that we are saved. He is the author and finisher of our faith.
- The Book of Mormon is true. It is another witness of Christ and is inspired for our day. It also bears testimony of the Bible, and modern revelation.
- The Priesthood has been restored on the earth. Joseph Smith was a true prophet and we have Prophets and Apostles to guide and direct us today. The words they speak are scripture.
As solid and firm as these absolutes and eternal truths are, there is still a change involved... a beautiful change within ourselves, a transformation, a conversion, a new birth, where we become who we are meant to become.
No, God doesn't change... but He certainly changes us!! This is the miracle of creation!!
"And now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then have ye imagined up unto yourselves a god who is not a God of miracles. But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles, even the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and it is that same God who created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are." - Mormon 9:10, 11
And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts? - Alma 5:14
"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God." - Ezekiel 36:26-28
If we have experienced this mighty change within us, may we always stay true! May we remain constant and obedient, reliable and trustworthy to all that our Father in Heaven asks of us. Obedience is the first evidence of love and the first law of heaven. I pray our hearts will be open to the changes that are coming within the Church. I pray we will prepare our families to always follow and give heed to the words of the living prophets. What a wonderful and exciting time to be alive as we witness the stone cut out of the mountains without hands rolling forth!!
-Alicia
2 comments:
Hey Alicia
So, the Pope was here in my hometown, Washington DC. It was an occasion for people to witness a person who lives to serve God. I feel like we are sometimes too jaded, even God's chosen and we all need a blast of heavenly light to warm us and remind us that God is still on the throne and his eyes are all over the world. He loves us and knows our needs and desires. I did not get a chance to see the Pope, (didn't have a golden ticket, oops there goes that jaded person). But we were blessed by his presence in other small but appreciated ways. The horrendous traffic that was "prophesied" never materialized, even on the subway. With all of the people gathering on the Mall and other public places, there were no fights or unnecessary roughness. The weather was beautiful and my favorite Christian radio station was able to make it's fiscal budget.
But seriously, I really admire the Pope. He is a courageous man and strong in the faith. He was humble enough to ask everyone to please pray for him. He reminded me a lot of President Monson. He loved to get out into the crowd where the everyday people were, and lay hands of blessings on babies and older people. Even posing for "selfies" haha
In his speech before Congress he reminded them of the golden rule. It reminded me of King Benjamin's famous quote "When you are in the service of your fellow man, you are in the service of your God.
I am optimistic about life and the future is very bright. Every day we must put on our armor of light and be the light's of the world that we are, and to quote Gandhi, be the change we wish to see in the world.
xoxoxo
Ramona, I just love that here we are as friends, never met in person and living miles away. I love that we can share testimony and strengthen one another in our faith through this wonderful world of technology! This is how it was meant to be used: to help us connect in a way that edifies the human spirit, inspires greatness, and helps us discover the beauty in life. It is all around, in every country, in every race, and in every sincere faith.
I love your optimism!! I love how you speak of putting on the armor of light for that is truly what it is! Our future is very bright isn't it. We are made to shine, to change the world one soul at a time.
Love you, Ramona!
Post a Comment