The following is taken from part of my Great Aunt Sylvia's book, "Victory Through Suffering." It's her story of how she survived a Japanese Concentration Camp:
(See Previous Accounts)
Aunt Sylvia - Part 4
Aunt Sylvia - Part 3
Aunt Sylvia - Part 2
Aunt Sylvia - Part 1
Walk With Me
"Precious Lessons in the School of Suffering"
A few pigs were kept in camp for which food was sent in separately. Since much of this food was what was being used in our kitchen, we were envious to see the pigs well fed while we were hungry. We begged for a share of the pig's food but were forbidden. Like the prodigal son, we would fain have eaten what was brought for the pigs to eat, but no man gave to us. Many waited by the garbage to get what was left of the pig's food. We washed it, ate it praying that we be strengthened and not get a disease. For a long time even after returning to the USA I could not keep the boys from looking in the garbage. Paul said, "Mama they are throwing away better than we had to eat." Even clothes and shoes they wanted to rescue for they used to gather old socks and scraps of cloth to keep me supplied with thread. Old matting or corn husks were final endeavors for shoes. I told them they need not search garbage, for God had supplied the need.
How many Christians are content to live from the world's garbage cans, rather than coming to the feast at the Lord's bountiful table. He invites, "come and dine," you may feast at Jesus's table all the time. How little we appreciate all He has done for us at Calvary! How far below His bountiful provision we live! We take from Satan that which he offers as though we were yet is prisoners. We are ignorant of his defeat at Calvary. I praise the Lord that through these trials He began to open my eyes to the springs of water, yea the rivers of living water freely offered. Why do we spend time and effort for "that which satisfies not, (Isaiah 55:2) forsaking the fountain of Living water?" My cry now is, "let me feast at Jesus's table continually, I shall never thirst again." Come, drink, be satisfied.
Even in the dire need of food, the boys in a wonderful way learned to take all from the Lord; and in every circumstance to give thanks. He was dealing with us in love and tenderness. They took hunger or punishment from the Lord's hand without murmuring. "Do all things without murmuring: (Phil. 2:15). When we received food we would pray it would sustain us till we received more, asking that He would multiply it as the loaves and fishes. Hearing the other children cry for food, the boys said, "the Lord does take care of us, even though we get hungry, He never lets us get too hungry." What a lesson! "Not that I speak in respect of want, for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both now to be abased, and I know how to abound; everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Phil. 4: 10-12) What could we do but to keep looking to the Lord knowing He would make a way?
Those precious lives of my little boys were entrusted to me to train for eternity. I was responsible that they know the way. My passion was that Christ be formed in them, and manifested in such a manner that if I died they would still meet me again (even if they were left with unbelievers). But how was I to do it here with a constant hubbub of worldly people? We were never a minute alone. We learned the sufficiency of His grace, and to rejoice in trial. It meant putting the Lord first in everything. Life was a constant reliance upon God for personal devotions and the children's Bible hour. Each evening we gathered for our Bible hour, sitting on our mats under the mosquito net, which shut out the consciousness of others. The Bible became more real to the boys as it was applied to existing trials.
We dare not talk of America or other outside countries. Nor could we think of horrible conditions around but we could look up and rejoice in our Heavenly Home. How we scanned the scriptures for all we found about it! We sang hymns of praise and worship, rejoicing in the Lord Himself. Heaven became real and eternal things more vital than earthly. The second coming of the Lord became vivid to the boys. One time Mark said, "Mother, why doesn't Jesus talk to me like He did to little Samuel? I listen for Him at night, but He doesn't talk to me." I responded with a promise, "You keep close to the Lord, and He will talk to you some day too." Another time he said, "Mother, when is the trumpet to sound, and Jesus come to take us to Heaven: It is so much better than this place." Later, when they heard that daddy had gone to heaven they said, "Why can't we go too? " I tried to tell them that we must stay to tell others how to get there." The Lord in His mercy helped them to understand these precious truths.
-Aunt Sylvia
No comments:
Post a Comment