It's been a busy week as I've been preparing things for school where I have a big essay due and I have a lesson for church (I'm a little nervous to give.)
Also, we've invented a new fairy in our family (well, my mom invented her and I've carried on the tradition for sixteen years.) The "Valentine's Fairy" comes every night for a whole week before the big day and leaves treats or trinkets with a cheesy little valentine note attached.... I mean really cheesy. :P Anyway, it's my best friend's birthday on Monday too and I've wanted to prepare something nice for her. Needless to say, there's been a lot of wonderful things to keep me busy. I had a thought to call my brother, Kenneth. It's been a couple of months since we talked last over the phone. But in all the rush, I just didn't get around to it. He must have been thinking the same thing because he beat me to the call. (We seem to do that a lot.) It was refreshing to take an hour spending time with him, an hour I don't think I had but it was extremely worth it. He shared a great story with me:
Kenneth and his wife, Kaylee, are expecting their second child. Their first is Lily who is four-years-old. Ken and Kaylee live in Fort Worth, TX. They attend a wonderful Christian church on Sundays and send Lily there for pre-school during the week. Job positions where my brother works have received cut-backs of nearly 58,000. As they've worked their way from the bottom up to the more senior employees and it's now getting close to him. He's been terrified to have another baby at this point especially because his wife will quit work and financially it just doesn't look good for him as a father and provider.
One morning, he lay in bed staring up at the ceiling, petitioning God for comfort, worrying about what was going to happen next and how things would ever work out. Four-year-old Lily came walking in and stood at his bedside. With an excitement in her voice she looked at her father and asked, "Daddy, did you know that God can do anything? And did you know that Peter tried to walk on the water and became afraid but... did you know that God can do anything!"
His heart began to burst. "Yes baby, you are absolutely right," Kenneth responded with tears streaming down his face. The timing couldn't have been more perfect for her to come in and say what she did.
As my brother related this story, he had to pause for a moment to compose himself because even the memory of it made him emotional. "Alicia," he said, "It's a complete miracle.... she hasn't just done this once but several mornings when I have laid there with my mind and heart overwhelmed. And each time she has come into my room, stood by my bed and said the very same thing. It is as if God sent her as an angel in those moments to comfort me."
I agreed with him and we had a wonderful time bearing testimony of how aware the Lord is of us. This is why I love talking with my brother so much. I'm so glad he called in the middle of all my chaos.
What a powerful lesson from the pure heart of a child! "Did you know... God can do anything!"
Faith as a Child
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment