Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Makes Me Smile


I danced around the kitchen making dinner preparations.  Onions were simmering on the stove while the rest of the ingredients were spread across the counter in what I call "organized chaos." Tuned into my favorite songs, I peeled and chopped one vegetable and then peeled and chopped another, so engrossed in my music that I didn't care about the monotony. The girls were playing at the edge of the table and I could hear them chattering in the background.  I wasn't paying attention to their game until I heard Kaylee shout, "But mom!!"  She sat despondently tucked in at the table's end staring down a small bowl of peppercinis.  Miriam wiped her hands on a dishtowel and insisted wisely, "You need to eat the food that is good for you."  I realized that when Kaylee had shouted my name she wasn't talking to me but to her "pretend mom."  This was going to be interesting. I turned down my music just enough to inconspicuously listen in on their dialog as I continued peeling and chopping.
"I don't like this stuff, it's gross," Kaylee continued to protest. "I want a cookie!"
"First you need to eat that.... and this too." Miriam placed a bowl of peas next to the one with peppercinis.
Kaylee pretended to sob as she dangled a pinch disgustedly in front of her face.
Her acting was quite good.... a little too good.  I couldn't help wonder how many times my "drama queen" had duped her real mother.
"What game are you guys playing?" I asked.
Miriam responded, as she opened the fridge for more vegetables, "Healthy Mom."
I busted up laughing, "That's the name of your game, Healthy Mom?"
I couldn't help wonder if this role-play was some sort of psychotherapy coping method they had conjured up for the trauma of facing so many dreaded vegetables.

Yesterday morning, my husband and Micah were eating their breakfast as I studied from my books.  Something triggered the memory of the girls game the day before and I began to tell the story to Joseph. Listening in, Micah interjected, "Yeah, I know that game.  It's called Healthy Mom."  His statement made me laugh even harder.  I didn't realize it was so popular.
Every child's world of imagination must have a hero and a villain. The question is: which one am I... the hero or villain?
Either way, it makes me smile.

-Alicia


No comments: