So far this semester, I've really enjoyed my class, Writing and Rhetoric. Each chapter I've studied, essay I've written, and lecture I've listened too has shown me how much more mindful, thoughtful, and informed I need to be with the opinions I hold and the words I say.
I like to think that I'm open-minded to people who believe different than me but now and then I catch a very unflattering glimpse of myself unwilling to explore the position or reasoning of an opposing view. I'm terribly uncomfortable with debate and I suppose part of that stems from my lack of several tools: vocabulary, wit, and knowledge... just to name a few.
Still though, I want to learn. I desperately want to learn! I need things to push me out of my comfort zone and I need to get over my fear of rejection or acceptance. I have talents and gifts unique to me that I know can be a strength and benefit to others. I know that if I just had more skill and know-how with some of these gifts, I could go so much further and do so much more good than I have in my life.
I feel grateful for the opportunity to go to school, especially BYU. I'm glad I've decided to stick with enrollment this semester because it's working out, even with my upside-down life right now. Being on campus (not in online courses but real face-to-face classes) is so thrilling. I recognize every time the incredible blessing it is to further my education. Stepping into the classrooms and being a part of the academic and spiritual atmosphere is absolutely energizing! I know this is right where I want to be in my life. I'm so glad I'm here... even if I have a long, long road ahead of me.
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment