It has been almost a week now since our van has been in the repair shop. Finally, they think they have diagnosed the problem; another circuit module issue that transmits the wrong messages and causes engine failure. It will cost us over $1,600 to replace this module just to see if they have truly pegged the culprit. The Chevy dealer informed me their factory records indicate our van was brought into his shop on two other occasions; First, when Via Motors realized they had a failed "science experiment" on their hands and took it in at 3,000 miles due to a messed up computer system... And second, when Dastrup Auto brought it in at 6,000 miles due to a different short-circuit module.
...And here we are bringing it back at 9,000.
...Now when we do the math, it seems if we continue with this vehicle, we will have nothing but nightmares every 3,000 miles. We just can't get over why NONE of this was on the CarFax, not a trace!
My husband has begun to ask some of the same questions I was asking last Saturday: "Why didn't the Spirit warn us? Why did we feel fine about everything when we made the purchase?"
Last night, Joseph couldn't contain his frustration as he shouted, "I'm not so sure I even understand what the purpose of praying about anything does anymore, especially when we can't even recognize the answers! Why do we keep being led into situations like this?! Maybe we haven't been led at all?"
I understood his feelings but there was nothing I could say to console him. He continued,
"Alicia, what if we move into this house and find out that we are in way over our heads?! What if we have emergency repairs crop up like these cars but only a hundred times worse?! What do we do then? We can't do anything because we're bound into these contracts! Do you realize we're stuck!! Absolutely stuck!! And don't tell me to 'keep the faith', I'm tired of hearing that it will all work out because it's not! Nothing is working out! This is a huge mess and faith hasn't gotten us anywhere!!"
I didn't know what to say to him. I was completely at a loss of words. I get what he's saying, I totally get where he's coming from. I don't know what to do either. We are expected to close on our house in two weeks. What are we doing?!! This is crazy!!
Somehow, I still really feel like we're going to be okay (aside from the ulcers I think I'm developing. I can't pretend that these past few months haven't been horribly uncomfortable and terribly strenuous).
I've been reading in the first chapter of Nephi again and I suppose with Lehi's journey, they could've had some similar doubts about the directions they were given:
- If the brass plates were so important and if Lehi was so inspired, why didn't the Lord command Lehi's family to get them before they left Jerusalem? Why did they have to travel all the way out of the city for miles and then backtrack? Isn't that wasted time and energy?
- If Nephi was such a spiritual guy, why did he have the idea to give all their family's gold and silver to negotiate the trade with Laban only to have that attempt completely backfire and lose all their money? Doesn't it seems like a completely pointless loss?
I don't know the answers to these questions anymore than I know the answers to our current situation. I just know that the Lord won't let us fail. And in the words of Nephi, "I know that He shall prepare a way for [us] to accomplish the things He has commanded us", the things that matter most.
And what matters most at this point?
It matters that we keep praying, keep moving, keep believing, keep focusing on and recognizing the blessings and the good that is happening through all of this. I honestly don't think the Lord is so extremely concerned with what, in life, happens to us - Instead, I believe God is far more interested in how we choose to happen to life. It's so important that no matter the circumstances, no matter the difficulties, we choose to remain faithful to God, "at all times, in all things, and in all places, even unto death." (Mosiah 18:9)
I read a talk by Elder L. Whitney Clayton from 2001, that corresponded with my scripture study this morning and I greatly appreciated this testimony:
All of us have come face-to-face with difficult, even desperate hours, when with tears we have fallen on our knees and pled as did this father, ‘Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.’
Just as the Savior stood ready to help this father whose son was “sore vexed,” (Matt. 17:15) so is He ready to help our unbelief today so that with faith we can survive our mortal struggles and “come off conqueror.” (D&C 10:5)
Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel and is more than mere belief. Faith is a “hope for things which are not seen, which are true.” “Faith always moves its possessor to … physical and mental action.” “To have faith in Jesus Christ means to have such trust in him that we obey whatever he commands. There is no faith where there is no obedience.”
[See A of F 1:4 Bible Dictionary, “Faith,” 669–70.] ( Alma 32:21 see also Heb. 11:1 Ether 12:6) [Bible Dictionary, 670.] [Gospel Principles (1997), 118.]
Amidst all these storms and turmoil, we have had miraculous blessings and this past week we’ve started a family ritual to go around taking turns mentioning something about the day that was a tender mercy. These are some that have been mentioned:
- Vick's generosity and help at the Laundromat last Saturday
- The guy who did our home inspection decided for no apparent reason to charge us $100 LESS than he usually charges.
- My friend, Jenn Peterson, helped drive my kids around all day Tues.
- My friend, Suzanne, let me borrow her car yesterday afternoon so I could get some groceries and get my kids to their music lessons and orthodontist appointments.
- Right when I was returning Suzanne’s car, my friend, Doyle, called to tell me that he and his wife were leaving on a two-week trip and said we could use their Mitsubishi while they were away.
None of these tender mercies were things we asked for but were freely offered. THIS is what faith is doing for us!! THIS is what prayers are doing for us! This is WHY I believe things are going to be alright. The Lord has said so clear, “Alicia, if I want bread, I can get bread. If I want fish, I can get fish.” I believe Him. As hard as all of this is and as hard as it may be, I know we are going to be okay
... and for the times when I'm not so strong and fear pulls me down beneath the tumultuous waves, I pray, 'Lord, help thou my unbelief!'
... and for the times when I'm not so strong and fear pulls me down beneath the tumultuous waves, I pray, 'Lord, help thou my unbelief!'
-Alicia
My husband sent me this really great message while he was at work this afternoon. It made me cry. (good tears of course, very good tears)
Hey,
I had a g+ notification this morning from a post by Pres. Uchtdorf. I think I felt the power of what he was saying and I am choosing to believe this words and trust in them. I just wanted to share it as we move forward. I still don't know where the end of this road is, but I believe choosing faith in this situation will get us much further than choosing fear and doubt. Here is what he said:
"The Lord knows you. He knows your heart and is pleased with your sacrifice. He smiles upon you each day. He will uphold you and prepare the way for you. He will send His angels before you. You will feel their presence. And with the help of heaven, your talents will be multiplied.
I promise you that as you lift those around you, the Lord God, the Creator of the universe, will lift you up. If you will only believe and incline your heart to our Beloved Father, He will place within you a peace that surpasses understanding. He will give you joy. May each of you always remember this."
"Nearer my God to Thee, nearer to Thee! E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me."
If we draw nearer to God in this, no cost will be too much. We get to choose faith and it is a privilege that we can choose faith in a situation like this. My hope and prayer in all of this is that this cross will raise us up to Him.
Be patient with me as I work through my pride as it manifests itself in anger, frustration and doubts and fears.
I love you... but I love the Lord more ;) But I know my love of the Lord will only increase my love for you. I hope to be able to grow in that more. I know it doesn't always show up that way.
Just some thoughts.
Joseph
2 comments:
Awesome Alicia
This thought came to me, "It takes a village to raise a Child of God" paraphrase. I understand how your husband feels. I think we all reach that point in our "walk" with Him, its like we are on a good run and all of a sudden, we are winded for no apparent reason, legs feel like silly putty and then the inevitable "charley horse". As we are laying on the ground in pain, shaking our fists at God, he is still speaking and communicating to us, we can't hear him. We limp home, dragging a sprained ankle or whatever, still murmuring, and believe it or not, we are in a state of "ungrateful". I thought about that in my own life. I know it's easy to say, Well Father, didn't you hear my prayer last week, you know what I am going through, do I have to lay it out to you? Yes He says, every day, every moment, every breath, this is how Father is with us. We grow from strength to strength, faith to faith, every breath, every moment.
I love the Lord, he is my rock and my strength, my song in the night, my shelter.
xoxoxoxo Alicia
You've been through a lot in your life, Ramona and I know you understand. Life is interesting isn't it? Nothing really happens like we expect it to but that doesn't mean there aren't better things in the works. It's amazing what a little gratitude can do. I like how you point out that how the Father is with us with every breath we breathe. This is just the start of a long list of other ways He is with us just like the Savior was with his disciples on the ship. God is on the same ship as us!! Do we really think the waves will take us over? I love your faith, Ramona!!
Post a Comment