We had a really great Region Conference this last Sunday. Elder Gary Stevenson spoke on three Christ-like attributes to practice every day: Humility, Obedience, and Virtue. I love how he defined virtue - that our private actions and conversations are in line with what we profess to believe in public in our churches.
I found his same HOV pattern in my scriptures this week where Alma counsels us, "to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.... learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God. Yea cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and withersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever." - Alma 37:34-36
I absolutely love it when I hear counsel from modern day prophets and apostles and soon after find something in my scripture study that coincides perfectly with what they just said. It happens all the time!
Just thinking about verse 36 of Alma where he admonishes that all our thoughts and affections be directed to the Lord, reminded me of this cool song, "I Point to You".
Enjoy!!
-Alicia
"I Point To You"
by, We Are Messengers
How can I forgive when I can't forgive myself
How can I move on when all I have is regrets
How can I fix you when I keep turning away
How can I make it past the noise with my shame
I need a miracle
Some healing for my heart
I need a revelation
A brand new start
I want simplicity
Where I can rest
But I need a miracle to put my past to death
I know You want my heart
My bruises and my scars
I'm coming as I am
The only way I can
I can't forget from where I've come
And what my heart's been rescued from
Yeah when they ask me who
I owe my whole life to
I point to You
I point to You
I want so badly just to finally get well
But I don't want a quick fix and emotional sell
I will be honest with my humanity
No I'm not perfect and I don't pretend to be
I need a miracle
Some healing for my heart
I need a revelation
A brand new start
I want simplicity
Where I can rest
But I need a miracle to put my past to death
I know You want my heart
My bruises and my scars
I'm coming as I am
The only way I can
I can't forget from where I've come
And what my heart's been rescued from
Yeah when they ask me who
I owe my whole life to
I point to You
I point to You
People say that I've lost myself
I'll say I'm found in You
People ask where does my story end
I'll say it starts with You
I know You want my heart
My bruises and my scars
I'm coming as I am
I know You want my heart
My bruises and my scars
I'm coming as I am
The only way I can
I can't forget from where I've come
And what my heart's been rescued from
Yeah when they ask me who
I owe my whole life to
I point to You
I point to You
I point to You
I point to You
"I pray the power of the Holy Ghost will be with each of us—that we may think what we need to think, feel what we need to feel, and learn what we need to learn so we can do what we know we should do and ultimately become what the Lord yearns for us to become." - David A. Bednar
Featured Post
The Purest Love
"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...
2 comments:
Alicia
Wow the world is changing so fast these days. Tomorrow we have an "emergency" Stake Conference. The boundaries of our ward are changing and I have never experienced this before.I am excited in a "riding on a roller coaster way" I feel like it is an answer to a prayer for me and anyone else who will be excited for this. I have you experienced this, tell me about it
love you , miss you
Ramona
Oh, yes! I have experienced this! It happens almost every 5 -6 years, mostly because of living in such a condensed area of members, so many apartments for students coming from all over. Each boundary change has brought huge blessings. I have met friends who have changed the whole course of my life for the better, people who I realize I needed to meet as direct answers to my prayers.
There are always challenges with the change because of callings and the logistics of the new ward. It's also very sad because you know there will be some people you will never see again... but for the most part, these challenges seem small compared to the blessings I have witnessed come from the changes. I think it can be a very great experience if each member makes the goal to create an atmosphere of love and unity, to reach out beyond their comfort zone, and go in with the attitude - we're going to make this work!
I'm excited for you. You'll have to let me know how it goes.
Post a Comment