"Verily, verily, I say unto you that mine eyes are upon you. I am in your midst and ye cannot see me." - D&C 38:7
My eyes are mortal, they are limited. My physical vision can only see so far. So when I read verses that speak of those things that cannot be witnessed with my own eyes, it draws my attention. How can we see without tangible evidence? What realms beyond mortal sight, beyond physical touch are as accessible and real as the air I breathe and the ground I walk on?
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.”- The Little Prince
How does one see with the heart?
The Savior spoke to the people in parables because they "seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand... For this people’s heart is waxed gross" - Matthew 13:13 - 15. I searched this scripture in other versions and the heart is described as calloused or dull. The rest of verse 15 describes that the ears and eyes are also dull and closed. When I think of a heart waxing gross, I think of fatty arteries, build-up from caring for things that have no value.
Maybe in this mortal life, we try to view things backwards?
First with our eyes, then our ears,
and then with our hearts.
Relying first on the physical tangible evidence saps us dry. It's far too broad, far to extensive, too general and vague to give any real direction. We become anxious or care about meaningless things, leaving no room in the end for faith in one's heart.
Maybe if we just flip things around, the proper vision will be opened to us?
First with our hearts,
then with our ears,
and eventually with our eyes.
Even in the darkest moments of life, even in the places where we cannot see the end from the beginning or what's on the other side,.. Even if the curtain is drawn, even if we don't know what's around the bend or where we are going, we can still feel safe and secure as if we could see. If our hearts are set upon God, we have hope... not because of our vision but because of His. The heart is the home of affection and when we sincerely love the Lord, we seek to lean on Him. I imagine this much like an affectionate child laying their head on their father's strong chest, listening to his soothing voice. The child won't understand everything in that moment but he trusts that someday, eventually he will know what his father is teaching him, and his eyes will be opened. What comfort this gives!
In our Father's arms, our hearts are warmed by trust and faith in Him and we are given strength to carry on despite that which is seen or not seen.
Why do I believe in God? Why do I believe in someone who I cannot see?
Many years ago I kept a quote on my bedroom wall that answers this:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis
"To the glory of God... we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal." - 2 Corinthinas 4:15-18
I believe because I feel it in my heart first,
Then I lean on my Father and listen
And trust that eventually my eyes will see.
-Alicia
"We see such a limited part of the eternal plan He has fashioned for each one of us. Trust Him, even when in eternal perspective it temporarily hurts very much. Have patience when you are asked to wait when you want immediate action. He may ask you to do things which are powerfully against your will. Exercise faith and say, Let Thy will be done. Such experiences, honorably met, prepare you and condition you for yet greater blessings. As your Father, His purpose is your eternal happiness, your continuing development, your increasing capacity. His desire is to share with you all that He has. The path you are to walk through life may be very different from others. You may not always know why He does what He does, but you can know that He is perfectly just and perfectly merciful. He would have you suffer no consequence, no challenge, endure no burden that is superfluous to your good.
To gain unshakable faith in Jesus Christ is to flood your life with brilliant light. You are no longer alone to struggle with challenges you know you cannot resolve or control yourself, for He said, “If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me.” (Moro. 7:33)" - Richard G. Scott - Obtaining Help from the Lord (Oct. 1991)
"I pray the power of the Holy Ghost will be with each of us—that we may think what we need to think, feel what we need to feel, and learn what we need to learn so we can do what we know we should do and ultimately become what the Lord yearns for us to become." - David A. Bednar
Featured Post
The Purest Love
"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...
No comments:
Post a Comment