Just two days before Christmas in the small town of Sharon, Vermont, he was born; A prophet called of God to restore the truths of the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ. Joseph Smith was honest and sincere with a pure heart and desire to know the will of the Lord for him. He did exactly as James 1:5 directs and sought for answers through humble prayer. Verses 24&25 of his history are my very favorite:
"...It was nevertheless a fact that I had beheld a vision. I have thought since, that I felt much like Paul, when he made his defense before King Agrippa, and related the account of the vision he had when he saw a light, and heard a voice; but still there were but few who believed him; some said he was dishonest, others said he was mad; and he was ridiculed and reviled. But all this did not destroy the reality of his vision. He had seen a vision, he knew he had, and all the persecution under heaven could not make it otherwise; and though they should persecute him unto death, yet he knew, and would know to his latest breath, that he had both seen a light and heard a voice speaking unto him, and all the world could not make him think or believe otherwise.
So it was with me. I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." - Joseph Smith
What happened to Joseph in that sacred grove and the visions and visitations that followed were miracles in this modern day! I think sometimes when we hear or read of these things that it might seem distant to us, as if experiences such as these are out of our reach. We may say to ourselves, "I know I can pray but I doubt that God would ever open a vision to me or give me answers to questions such as these." Who are we to limit God? "My beloved... have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men."- Moroni 7:29
Joseph Smith and his counselors in the First Presidency gave the following instructions to the Saints who were gathering to Nauvoo: “God hath not revealed anything to Joseph, but what He will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them, for the day must come when no man need say to his neighbor, Know ye the Lord; for all shall know Him … from the least to the greatest [see Jeremiah 31:34].”
With any personal decision or challenge we might face in life, we can rest assured that the heavens are open and we can receive divine guidance in our sphere of jurisdiction. "Even the least Saint may know." It is the essential element of faith.
Joseph Smith taught, "Miracles are the fruits of faith." He said, "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask it from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching.”
"[I] believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost." I believe in them with all of my heart and soul. Not even the smallest doubt exists in my mind of their reality. When I pray, I know I am addressing my good and gracious Father. He knows me intimately and cares for me with a love I cannot comprehend. I have a Savior who redeems me, who lifts me back up after every fall, who knows my every heartache because he has experienced every pain.
This is my foundation. I have learned this by faith. I have learned this from sincerely praying and holding nothing back as I pour out my soul. I have learned this by seriously studying the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon.
I'm a little late in choosing my verse to ponderize this week. But this is the one I have selected. I think it is fitting both for the restoration of the Gospel and with Christmas in two days.
"I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it." - JSH 1:25
-Alicia
by, Josh Groban
Children sleeping, snow is softly falling
Dreams are calling like bells in the distance
We were dreamers not so long ago
But one by one we all had to grow up
When it seems the magic's slipped away
We find it all again on Christmas day
Believe in what your heart is saying
Hear the melody that's playing
There's no time to waste
There's so much to celebrate
Believe in what you feel inside
And give your dreams the wings to fly
You have everything you need
If you just believe
Trains move quickly to their journey's end
Destinations are where we begin again
Ships go sailing far across the sea
Trusting starlight to get where they need to be
When it seems that we have lost our way
We find ourselves again on Christmas day
Believe in what your heart is saying
Hear the melody that's playing
There's no time to waste
There's so much to celebrate
Believe in what you feel inside
And give your dreams the wings to fly
You have everything you need
If you just believe
Just believe
1 comment:
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!! ALICIA XOXOXOXO
Stop by the blog for a treat.
Have a wonderful holiday
Ramona
Post a Comment