Featured Post

The Purest Love

"The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of transformation. It takes us as men and women of the earth and refines us into men and wom...

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Christ-in-us = Christmas

I've never been one who enjoys shopping, especially Christmas shopping.  I'm grateful for the internet because it cuts down the hassle immensely.... no crowds, no lines, and the whole "grabby" consumer atmosphere.   Now, I really do enjoy buying presents for other people but I prefer giving gifts that have meaning, that spark happy memories. I struggle when it feels like all I'm giving is just more "things."

"Come, my brethren, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters; and he that hath no money, come buy and eat; yea, come buy wine and milk without money and without price.  Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy." - 2 Nephi 9:50, 51

This isn't an official Christmas song but as I listen to it, I think of this little math equation (Chirst-in-us = Christmas).  It's so very true.  I treasure deep connection with friends and family.  This is what truly makes me happy and it just can't ever be bought from a store or stuffed under a tree.  It only happens when we all take our personal journey's to become one with Christ and in doing so we connect deeper with each other.


Earlier this week I found this quote from President James E. Faust that I think fits perfectly with the equation I've been pondering:

"We all enjoy giving and receiving presents. But there is a difference between presents and gifts. The true gifts may be part of ourselves—giving of the riches of the heart and mind—and therefore more enduring and of far greater worth than presents bought at the store.

Of course, among the greatest of gifts is the gift of love.... He whose birth we celebrate has told us that all of the law and the prophets is contained in loving God and our fellowmen. James called this 'the royal law' (James 2:8). The Apostle Paul said, 'To know the love of Christ … passeth knowledge' (Eph. 3:19). In the First Epistle of John we are told, 'Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God' (1 Jn. 4:7).

....The message of this season that is applicable throughout the year lies not in the receiving of earthly presents and treasures but in the forsaking of selfishness and greed and in going forward, seeking and enjoying the gifts of the Spirit, which Paul said are 'love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law' (Gal. 5:22–23)." - President James E. Faust - Dec. 2001

Happy Holidays my friends!  "Let us love one another: for love is of God" This is Christ in us... this is Christmas.
-Alicia

4 comments:

Ramona Gordy said...

Awesome Alicia, I love listening to Jeremy Camp.
My husband once told me that I give boring gifts for whatever the occasion merits. Really, I thought? I tend to choose gifts based on the love and affection I have for the person, and hopefully the gift will be something that can be used often, and be an asset. I give cute gifts too. This year, in learning about the attributes of the Savior, the Fruit or gifts of the Spirit, we are admonished to take upon ourselves these gifts, or spiritual traits so that we may be edified, and even educated, so that these gifts will help us to live the life the Lord wants us to experience and that we may serve his children. I found an explanation of why Heavenly Father had given us "gifts", it is to live; to have life more abundant in all godliness, in all things that pertain to life and godliness. It is to live the life eternal.
Gift giving is a pattern for us to learn from, and every good gift comes from above.
Every year I try to become a little more service oriented, and hopefully do more beyond the holidays. My job has wonderful ways to bless the community of people who struggle more than the average person. We have coat drives, food drives, we fill shoe boxes with gifts and have wrapping parties and distribute them. My husband and I have adopted some of our neighbors and we share our holiday meals with them. It's not much, but for me, if I can turn the attention from me, from selfishness and spin it into love for my "neighbor", then I'll take that instead of a gift.

Alicia Rawlins said...

Ramona,I like how you speak of learning to turn the attention from ourselves and striving to develop and share the gifts of the spirit. I certainly have a long way to go with this but I find a greater inner peace and freedom in the practice. What is your profession where you are able to serve as you do?

Ramona Gordy said...

Hi Alicia
I work at Georgetown Univ Hospital as a Data and Surgical Billing Coordinator. So there is always an opportunity to do something. Georgetown is a Jesuit Hospital, so service seems to be a number 1 priority.

Alicia Rawlins said...

That's wonderful, Ramona! Of course you seem the type that would be able to find ways to reach out and serve no matter where you worked. :)